94: Hero

Victoria was listening to Watts talk about using Cinder instead of Raven being smarter--until the alarms went off.

"Someone's here!" she said.

"What?" Watts was finally surprised.

"Either someone found the tunnel accidentally, or this was a trap." Victoria glanced at him. "I'm leaning towards trap--but it's a disaster. My security system will destroy them and Raven too, if they get the chance."

"What now?" Watts said.

"You fools, I designed this lab so that if anyone ever tried to break in and steal something, they'd never make it back out," Victoria said. "But I'm supposed to evacuate! Who have you brought here? They'll be trapped. Those doors will lock them in unless they have my or Kip's Aura signature."

"The door locks with Aura?" Watts said.

"If the security system is engaged!" Victoria said. "You idiots! Was it those children?"

"No, no," Watts said. "I don't know what you're talking about, Victoria, but whoever it is is presently doomed if you're right about that."

"Then we should go get them," Hazel said firmly.

"Not a chance," Victoria said. "I'm not stupid. This was a set up."

"It's not exactly a set up," Watts said. "I'm quite serious about my plan, but, my dear, you have to learn to let some stuff go if you want something in return."

"Scoundrel!" Victoria said. "You sold me out? Really? To them? Or to Salem!?"

Then they heard a crash.

"That sounds like my pantry..." Victoria said. "Kip? Kip, where are you?"

"Mother, what's going on?" Kip appeared from upstairs. "Why is that alarm going off?"

"Kip, I want you to get our emergency suitcases out of our rooms and get out of here," Victoria said. "I have some pests to deal with."

Kip glanced at them oddly.

"What about the angry girl?" he asked.

"It won't matter anymore," Victoria said. "I'll let her go, I suppose."

"Wise decision," Hazel said, intimidatingly.

Victoria's eyes narrowed at him.

"I'll never forgive you for this, Arthur." She turned to Watts.

"I really think if you gave it some thought, you'd see this idea is superior to yours," Watts said.

"That'll be the day!" Victoria was mad.

She ran for her lab.

"I suppose we just leave now," Watts said.

"I'm going to get the girls," Hazel said.

"It's madness to go in there. Victoria's defenses are top notch, I'm sure," Watts said.

"Coward," Hazel said to him derisively.

He rushed in the direction of the lab.

"More like I'm not bat-crazy," Watts said. "But I don't like my chances of getting away from here and getting recaptured either..."

He walked toward the trapdoor to the cellar. "Something seems to be going on down there. A Grimm maybe?"

Then he heard yelling.

"I declare, I think that little brat is in the cellar... Oh, really, Victoria, how unoriginal." Watts pulled the bolt back.

Instead of Yang, he saw Theo dodging some flying cans of food. Yang had gotten creative.