122: Close Our Eyes

Pyrrha and Jaune finally found Sun, Neptune, and Blake, who'd fought off the Grimm only to find more were appearing.

"Where are they coming from?" Blake cried in exasperation.

"I don't know!" Sun said.

"But if we could find it, maybe we could stop them coming in," Jaune mused.

"Well, most of them have been crawling in from behind us," Neptune said. "Which is weird, if they were supposed to be in Kanap's lair."

"Hey, yeah," Jaune said. "They're not coming that way, so...someone followed us, then? Because you're right, none of them seem to be in front of us. Huh, Neptune, I thought you were supposed to be the dumb one."

"Huh?" Neptune said.

"He's kidding," Pyrrha said.

"Kind of," Sun added.

"So we go back the way we came?" Blake said. "Great..."

But they did.

Sure enough, after killing a lot of Grimm along the way, they found one part of the tunnels that was not far from the Vault but took a bit of a turn up a steep hill.

Here, a big hole had been burrowed in the ground by one of the Grimm, leaving room for all of them to come in.

And more were coming.

"Ew." Neptune shone his scroll over it. "There's, like...black goo down there."

"Just like in Atlas." Pyrrha looked at it. "She's spawning more Grimm--as fast as we can kill them."

Even as she spoke, the pond bubbled, and a Grimm began to rise out of it.

"Ah!" Neptune screamed like a girl--and Blake yelped also.

"Yikes!" Sun said.

"We have to stop it." Jaune held out his shield. "There has to be something we can do... Isn't there anything our new authority does?"

"I have no idea." Pyrrha held out her javelin. "Can we just tell it to stop?"

"I don't know..." Jaune said.

The Grimm rose up more.

"We have to try something." Jaune held out his sword. His Aura shimmered over it. "Stop!" he said.

"Just talking to it's not going to do anything!" Neptune said.

"Shh." Blake elbowed him.

Pyrrha echoed Jaune's words. "Stop!"

The Grimm began to snarl at them.

The river bubbled like it was angry almost...like it was alive...

But if it was alive...

Jaune slashed at the Grimm and it turned into smoke...then the goo started smoking also, where he'd sliced it.

"What is that...?" Neptune asked.

"It's like my Aura hurt it..." Jaune glanced at his sword. "Huh..."

"Jaune, I have an idea." Pyrrha pulled a red dust clip out of her belt. "This might sound crazy--"

"What, Pyrrha?" Jaune said.

"This." Pyrrha held up the vial of special water. "If their gifts are effective against Grimm...are opposed to it, that is--then perhaps if we combine our gifts with theirs, we'll have more effect."

"Is that how this works?" Jaune said. "I'm not sure it's scientific."

"Well...if we have faith enough, I think we can find a solution," Pyrrha said. "And it's all we've got."