40: I've Lost My Way Around

[Late note: I wrote all of this arc before volume 9 came out. I decided not to change anything after seeing volume 9.]

Ruby came to consciousness slowly, not sure what happened.

Cinder had knocked her out when she sent her off the edge, and she thought she remembered falling...and then just blackness.

She opened her eyes to bright sunshine and trees...but no sign of any of her friends.

* * *

Yang was caught between a tree root and a rock, in a kind of river. The cold water was what woke her up.

She rubbed her head and pulled herself out.

"Hello?" she called. "Anyone there?"

As far as she knew, it was just her who'd fallen. But she thought maybe someone else was around.

But she didn't see anything.

* * *

Blake crashed into some bushes, no clue where she was, but she got branches everywhere, even in her ears.

* * *

Weiss hit some sandy strip next to a beach of sorts.

"What happened?" she murmured, sitting up, rubbing her head.

The strangest thing was she didn't really feel like she'd hit the ground hard, she was just disoriented.

* * *

Pyrrha opened her eyes.

"I'm...not dead?" She sat up, brushing dirt off herself. 

Looking upward, all she saw was blue sky...no sign of the black abyss.

Was this the afterlife?

No...she didn't remember the afterlife, but she was sure it wasn't like this.

She got up slowly, not really sore but shaken.

"Hello?" she called. "Jaune? Yang?... Ruby? Blake?"

She started to stumble along the ground. It just looked like a forest...but not quite a normal one. Brilliant colored plants were everywhere, and small bugs and birds...but she didn't see anything she recognized, except something that looked like palm trees... Maybe there was beach or desert nearby?

Suddenly she hit her foot on something metal and bent down.

It was her shield.

Well...at least she didn't land on it, or her sword.

She used her Semblance to kind of scan the area, and suddenly her sword flew into her hands out of some bushes.

It was about at this point Pyrrha realized what happened.

She'd fallen into that abyss... This couldn't be Remnant, then, could it?

It had to be somewhere else... Perhaps...it was where the Relics were kept? Hadn't the girls said something about it being outside Remnant?

Or was it...another world?

She rubbed her arms.

"The Girl Who fell Through The World..." she murmured to herself. "'She brushed off her bumps and bruises, for nothing hurt worse than the loneliness in her chest...'"

She put a hand to her chest.

"I don't know about lonely, but...this is crazy... A lot to take in..." She glanced around.