78: The Opposite of Amnesia

[Song "Polarize" by 21 Pilots.]

Oscar had made progress in his written accounts of what he'd been learning.

In a way, it helped him sort it out.

He contemplated how it had gone with Shine and Wally when, the day before today, he'd finally talked to them about what he wanted to do.

"I understand now that you wanted to give me the freedom to choose," he told them very seriously. "And I'm grateful for that. It wasn't about pressuring me. But this is serious. You guys worry about me, and it's honestly kind of nice that someone does. But I'm in this--we can't pretend that I'm not. And it probably won't get any better if I back out now."

Wally rubbed his head but didn't speak. Shine just waited for Oscar to finish his thought.

"Also though," Oscar said, "I've been...starting to understand Ozpin a little bit better. Since we've stopped merging, I feel like I can look at him more objectively. He's not me, but I can understand him. He's not a bad guy, overall. I think the curse burdens him. I think Alicia was right, that it was too much and too long, and you're right that it's twisted him up inside. But he's tried to do good things for people, and it's not like he chose for Salem to be there, countering it all for centuries. I still want to help him. I think he should find peace. I know it won't be easy to carry this for more time, and...if Qrow is right, it could affect you too. I guess I should ask if you're okay with it."

"You want to ask us?" Wally was surprised.

"Ah...that is so sweet." Shine put a hand over her heart. "Actually worrying about what we want."

"I just think it's not fair to you if it ruins your lives because we're too late," Oscar said. "If Salem gets the upper hand again here, I might run out of time. I mean...how long can I keep the curse at bay?"

"I don't know the answer to that," Shine said. She looked at her hands. "The trouble with curses is that they are sneaky. If you're willing to carry it, then you need to be aware--it's not just the gods you have to think of. The enemy will try to tempt us in other ways. Forcing you would be brutal, but no one could blame you. But if he can't do that, the enemy will try to trick you into making choices that Ozpin would make, ones in line with the curse and the magic. We've told you not to use magic, but if you do in a moment of weakness, you could set yourself back. But it's not just that. Ozpin's weaknesses are ones you must come to fully understand and identify them in yourself. You are supposed to be like-minded. You might be his better self, now. But you're young, innocent, and that's easy while you're like that. But the things you've gone through are going to break down that innocence if you let them. Anger, envy, despair, I'm sure you've already felt them, but if we experience more setbacks, you know they will get worse."

Oscar flinched.

"I don't want to invite fear," Shine said carefully. "It may be that it won't be a problem...if you stay on the right track. But, Oscar, you will have to do it on purpose. If you're lax, you'll slip; we all slip when we're not actively trying to be good. You can't think that just because we can stop the effects of the magic by force that means it can't still take effect. You must be vigilant. I believe if you are, you have nothing to fear from it. But it will be up to you."

"Ozpin...once asked me what I'd do if you and I disagreed," Oscar said slowly, "the way he and Alicia did... If I was sure I was right and you were wrong, what would I do? I said I wouldn't send you away...but are you worried that I will?"