41: When the Seasons Stop and Hide

Neo was clever enough to know to disguise herself when she continued to watch the strange woman from a distance.

After some hours of resting, Shine found Winter, who was still fighting Grimm, though they'd abated with the storm, but this many scared people were bound to attract them.

"In all this time, one would think that the Headmaster of Shade would have sent someone out here to investigate," Winter said, holding up her scroll. "We've had connection back for over an hour."

Shine scared off a small Grimm at their heels before shrugging. "It's not a great sign, but somehow about what I expected. I think I can bring them now. They might be halfway here as it is."

"Then do so. These people will not let us squat here forever without a sanctioned invitation." Winter eyed the huntsmen, who'd barely been helping in all this time--and that only because of their own civilians being in danger.

Sun had stuck around and tried to call Headmaster Theodore, only to get a signal that he had his scroll turned off... At least he assumed that's why he was unavailable.

Shine held her breath as she opened a doorway overhead.

* * *

Marrow and Robyn argued over the best route for Vacuo for a good portion of the flight.

Marrow wanted to avoid these mountains along the way. Robyn said they didn't have time to do so...

No one else wanted to get in the middle of it.

Wally wished they'd just settle on a route and be done with it.

But out of nowhere Marrow suddenly yelled, "What the heck is that?"

"It looks like a door," Robyn said, "made out of light."

Wally dashed to the front of the plane.

"Yeah, baby!" he said, like Mr. Incredible. "Shine's giving us a short cut--I'd know that light anywhere. Just fly right into it."

"Right into it?" Marrow said. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, yeah... Wait, one of you has magical powers, right?" Wally said.

Raven sat up. "I do, you dumba--!" she erupted, before she remembered that Qrow wasn't supposed to know that.

Robyn flew the ship into the portal before she even really processed what Raven said, but then she said. "Wait, what did you say?--"

They all passed through the light anyway.

It was something like the other ones, if they'd known that, but you couldn't really see the light rushing past with this one.

However, it did jolt them all like a taser would almost, though less painfully. 

Raven worst of all. To her it felt like the magic power inside her squealed in agony for a split second, like a cat when you step on its tail.

Then they were through, and she fell to her knees...but she was all right, just a throbbing in her head that passed after about a minute.

Long enough for Qrow to process what she said however.

Didn't help that her eyes had started glowing without her knowing it while in the portal.

They faded out before anyone but him saw, because the others were all looking out the front window, but Qrow stared at her, and she looked up and knew he'd seen something.

Silence.

"Whoa, that's Vacuo right there..." Marrow was looking down.

"Nice," Robyn said. "That woman really has a cool Semblance, I must say. That saved us hours of flight time... Guess we didn't need to worry about the mountains after all, Wags."