177: Failed Attempts

Everyone had their weapons out as they got swarmed.

Things broke into utter chaos.

The gorillas went right for the people carrying the Relics, which currently were Ren and Nora.

Qrow, Wally and Hazel rushed to get in their path.

"Emerald, quick, take it." Ren tossed her the sword.

"What?" She caught it.

"Hide it!" Ren said. "All of this won't matter if they get it first."

That was terrifyingly accurate.

Emerald strapped the Sword on and used her Semblance as one of the gorillas flew toward her--and then past her.

She stuck her knives into its back and sliced it open. It evaporated.

Another one flew at her, and Pyrrha's shield knocked it in the head, then Pyrrha jumped on it and ran her spear through it.

"Jaune, help Emerald," she called. "Boost her Aura so she can get away."

"Nora, give her the Crown also," Ren said.

Nora had enjoyed feeling like a queen, but she knew better than to argue. She smacked away one Grimm and jumped toward Emerald, then handed her the Crown.

"You're giving her both?" Mercury kicked away one monster. "She'll be the biggest target out of all of us."

"We don't have a lot of choice." Ren hid some of them from the Grimm.

"You guys better run," Weiss agreed. "Maybe take cover in the hills. We'll be fine."

"No, we can't separate," Jaune argued.

However, he wasn't going to get much choice about that, because one thing the gorilla Grimm seemed intent on was dispersing them.

They chased them all every which way, howling at them like banshees.

Wally zapped a lot of them, but more were coming, it seemed.

"Run," Shine was yelling at everyone. "Get to the hills."

Whoever could began running for them.

It wasn't that far off, thankfully.

The gorillas chased after them.

Winter, using glyphs to try to keep them off the kids, brought lightning down on a few more.

The effort of using magic seemed to be wearing on her more than before; she felt tired already.

Vara was already sweating and breathing hard.

Cinder seemed less bothered than them.

And Raven, she did well for a while, but then she turned into a bird.

"D--- it, I'm stuck again!" she said in her bird voice.

"Nevermind, just get out of here," Qrow said. "Follow Sustrai."

Emerald and Jaune were getting close to the foot of the hills now.

Pyrrha had followed them to keep the Grimm off. She shot at some more, but the bullets weren't doing much.

Oscar ran after them also, using his spear to run a few more through, but he felt Ozpin at the surface of his mind--and wondered if he was following the Relics because he wanted to help, or because Ozpin wanted to take them.

He looked back and saw Shine block the teeth of one of the gorillas with her sword, and it clamped onto it.

Even this made the Grimm vaporize at once.