60: Perfect Imposter

There was plenty to say...but everyone was afraid to say it.

"I'm so sick of you all telling us we're wrong," Wally burst out, suddenly. "What did we do that was wrong? Nothing. We've done nothing but help you, and you treat us like the devil, and it's just... You know, once I saved people who were grateful. It's like all of you are under some spell that makes you think everything people do to help you is evil, and that doing dumb stuff like lying is somehow okay. I heard what you said to Salem, Blondie."

Yang looked at him oddly.

"You said that something bad happened to her once, and now no one gets a happy ending," Wally said. "I thought that was a good point, you know. She's kind of sick...but it's like you guys are saying the same thing now. Someone did something bad to you, bad stuff happened to you, and now no one who was a part of it gets a happy ending either."

"But they don't deserve one," Weiss said.

"You guys have done almost the same stuff as them, now," Wally said. "Heck, we're kind of still doing it, and maybe it's not wrong...but it's like...you know, it wasn't wrong for the little lady there to want her boss back. It's actually pretty cute. It's nice to see criminals who care about each other, I think. Most of them don't. I'd totally encourage that, and I don't see a problem with it. So what if they're your enemies? The whole world doesn't revolve around you."

Weiss winced a little.

"Not to acknowledge all the other things we did that were some of the evil in your mind, even though none of them have led to any evil," Shine said. "I swear, if we weighed whose decisions have and haven't worked out, I think we don't even break even."

"I'd agree there," Raven said. "From what I've observed, your plans have worked far better because they are more realistically scaled. I don't know if you're smarter or just more experienced, but it is what it is."

"I don't need an echo, Raven, but thank you for the support," Shine said. "However, you might make it worse for yourself by backing us up right now."

"Why should it matter to me?" Raven said.

"If it doesn't, that's fine," Shine shrugged.

"I just think it's funny that anyone wants to piss off people who can work wonders," Raven said.

"We've seen other people who can do that," Yang said. "They aren't good people."

"Yes, well, that is not our fault," Shine said. "We are what we are... We're not even the real point, but if you can't even stand us, how could you stand the full truth? You all love to make your plans and do as you please, as if you're entitled to it. But in fact, doing the right thing is just an obligation put on all people, not a favor you're doing the world. Once, some of you knew that. Maybe you do now, maybe you don't. I mean, I only really hear a few of you talking, but as long as those few can bully everyone else using things like love and friendship as weapons, that's all that it takes."

"What was that supposed to mean?" Yang asked.

"I think you know perfectly well what I mean," Shine said. "You know, I'd even have told you all what my reasoning was, that's the funny part--if you just asked me, politely and with respect and acknowledgement of what's been going on. Wally is right though... You can't even see what you're saying sounds just like Salem. Now that I've heard this, I know you're not ready. Some people never are ready. But anyone who was ready, I'd be happy to explain things to. And, Yang, you had better learn sometime that disrespecting people and insulting them is not the way to get everything you want from them, like some spoiled brat!"