19: Sick of It

Pyrrha was still waiting for Shine and Wally to return when Qrow startled her by appearing out of nowhere almost, at the window. It was unlocked, though shut, so he must have opened it somehow.

Pyrrha jumped back.

"They aren't here." Qrow slipped into the room easily. "I thought so. I knew they accepted Jimmy's order too easily. Where are they?"

Pyrrha was silent.

"Are they with Hill?" Qrow asked.

"Of course not," Pyrrha said. "I'm not sure exactly where they are."

This much was true.

"Are you dumb?" Qrow asked her gruffly. "Maybe you think this wasn't fair, but if they push Ironwood's buttons like this, he's only going to restrict them more."

"He shouldn't be treating them like criminals," Pyrrha said.

"He's worried that they're going to warn Robyn and become accomplices," Qrow said. "They can't afford to make themselves outlaws--they don't have anyone to stick up for them."

"They could have us," Pyrrha said quietly.

Qrow tilted his head. "You like them."

"With all due respect, Mr. Branwen," Pyrrha said, "can you blame me?"

Pause.

Qrow chuckled dryly. "I guess that's a good point... Still don't make any sense."

"I guess you finally believe me," Pyrrha said.

"I can't exactly see this being an act," Qrow said. "I hate to say it, though, but, that doesn't mean you'll be sticking around. We've seen that this stuff can be undone... Don't get your hopes up."

"I guess the power that brought me back can be the judge of that." Pyrrha was less bothered somehow by his saying this than she would have been even the day before. "It's not your concern, is it?"

"You seem different than before." Qrow frowned. "I don't remember you being so mouthy at Beacon."

"I remember you being more so than you seem to be now," Pyrrha replied archly. "Perhaps we have both altered for the same reason. We're no longer in the same company and circumstances. I also know you lied to me."

"I didn't lie," Qrow said.

"You certainly didn't tell me the whole truth," Pyrrha said. "I may be a lot of things, Qrow, but I am not that stupid."

"No...I guess I shouldn't be surprised." Qrow shuffled. "Look...for whatever it's worth, if I could go back and change what we told you, I would. But I can't. You made your choice then. It wasn't fair, but we all thought it was the right choice."

"Did you really think that?" Pyrrha looked out the window. "Or did you just want to try to keep the power, however possible?"

It was to Qrow's credit that that question stung far more because he felt like that was a repulsive idea than because he was being called out on it. Pyrrha, trying to gauge his reaction, thought she saw some real regret in there.

"I thought it was the right choice," he said. "It doesn't look so simple now, does it?"

"No," Pyrrha shook her head. "Qrow, this maybe speaking out of turn, but I don't know what else to try... Miss Schnee did not take our advice well."

"Told ya," Qrow said.

"Perhaps if it came from someone who's known Ozpin and the General longer..." Pyrrha began.

"No." Qrow shook his head. "No, no, no. Trust me, I am the last person to ask. Schnee hates me and, even worse, thinks I'm a giant moron. It won't do any good if I back you up. I'm too much of a known rebel. All the Atlas Specialists care about is rank and responsibility."