53: Hopelessness Sinking In

Winter passed that third day in growing despair.

Theo made no appearance any more than he had any other day, and Qrow vanished also, perhaps to scout, perhaps to waste time.

The Huntresses were quite at the point of exhaustion, and the handful of people who were helping them at different points in the kingdom were also.

Provisions were low--in fact, probably non existent.

And it couldn't be said even the Atlesians' outlook on their "protectors" had improved.

"Off in the school while we're out here," many of them griped. "Who was responsible for this mess to begin with? Them. We should elect a new leader."

The Mantle Dwellers wanted to follow Robyn Hill only, and any attempt for the Ace Ops or Winter to give them directions led to open mockery and refusal to listen.

Winter simply lacked the energy to deal out punishment, and the Ace Ops were scared of them.

On top of that, Harriet got heatstroke that day, being much more adapted to cold than heat, and used to not even needing a jacket in Atlas summers.

Marrow and Elm were not doing much better in the heat, but Faunus tended to adapt slightly faster to weather changes, and Marrow held up more than Elm. Still she was strong as a horse and didn't keel over or anything.

Winter's own case of heat exhaustion didn't improve much that day. She kept it just barely in line by drinking more water and trying to stand in the shade when she could, but she got dizzy often and nearly fainted a few more times. The magical energy boost would last for a short time, but she had no endurance for it yet, and afterward she'd feel sicker than before.

But all this she would not have minded if her heart was not so heavy about Weiss' continued absence, and if there had been any hope of the situation becoming better.

* * *

Over near the school, Qrow tailed Theo as best as he could, but Theo might have been onto their growing irritation. He stayed near his office the whole day, and if he called anyone, they couldn't hear it. Raven had no better luck, though she hardly tried and didn't tell Qrow when she did.

Qrow, giving up on this, flew east to look for Mercury again, but this time he found nothing. They might be laying low on purpose, suspecting that Ozpin's forces would be looking for them.

But at least Salem had not show up in person yet.

"But we really don't know how she will," Oscar pointed out over a hasty lunch with some of the others. "She doesn't seem to have a problem amassing huge Grimm numbers. What's to stop her from attacking Vacuo just like Atlas? I feel like we didn't think this through."

"We were up a creek," Ozpin said. "We had little choice, but the fact remains that she has the advantage in every logistical area. She doesn't need food for her army, she can replenish it without funds, she doesn't need dust, and she has no one to care about except her few minions. And only two or three of those now. The only thing that could stop her is her own love of the dramatic."

"Thanks, Oz." Oscar was cross with him. "So what do we do?"

"I already admitted I really don't know," Ozpin said. "I have no plan, I told you."

"Then what was the point of this?" Oscar said.

Pause.

"Oscar..." Ozpin said slowly, "I can't help but feel you may be purposefully ignoring Miss Likstar's dilemma she put to you yesterday. Perhaps now is not the time, but...you could be free of all this. It doesn't have to be your fight."