123: Glory Fades

Wally and Kip looked for everyone else in the tunnels.

They met Yang, Emerald, and Mercury along the way and didn't question Mercury's presence. Wally told Kip to help them get out while he found Ruby and Hazel.

* * *

Ruby had found Hazel and Tyrian without too much trouble, still going at it. Their fight was pretty evenly matched.

Hazel had held his own, but unfortunately Tyrian had dodged most of his power blasts, and they only made him crazier anyway.

Also unfortunately, he'd succeeded in scratching Hazel with his tail at one point.

Given Hazel's size and strength, this wouldn't matter for some time, but would be a problem if he didn't get out of here.

[Did you know the larger the scorpion, the less strong the venom? Me neither. My sister told me that. But I'd say Tyrian's size would still make it a problem.]

Tyrian has realized, however, that he wasn't likely to win this fight without backup, and when Ruby showed up, he knew he couldn't fight them both.

He ran behind some rocks and managed to lose them before they could corner him.

"Nevermind," Hazel said. "If we go after him, we'll only get lost down here."

"It would be nice if we could have stopped just one person today..." Ruby said.

"Kid, we'd be lucky to survive today. Today was about saving our own, not taking them down," Hazel said, wise words for once. "Hopefully no one died today. Though that snake would not have been much of a loss to anyone, but I'm not willing to risk our lives to go after him now. You should go back to your team. Sustrai and Black hopefully made it out already."

"And you?" Ruby said.

"They might need help fighting the scientist," Hazel said.

"I think it's too late for that--" Ruby stopped as the ground shook.

"What is that?" Hazel narrowed his eyes.

"Earthquake? Here?" Ruby mumbled.

"That can't be good," Hazel said. "We need to go."

They ran like heck, but the shaking still got really bad before they were even back to where they'd entered these tunnels. And things started caving in.

Hazel deflected, and Ruby dodged, but they could only be lucky for so long.

Thankfully, Wally found them and started taking them out.

* * *

Theo, when he felt the whole place was coming down, sped back towards the Vault.

* * *

Vara was standing outside the door still when she felt a tremor... She was too far away to feel the full effect, but an earthquake...didn't seem good.

"Vara?" Pyrrha called suddenly.

They'd found her.

Vara looked at her, and then she formed a chunk of ice and threw it at the panel on the outermost doors.

They clicked shut.

"What?" Jaune said.

"Oh no," Pyrrha said. "She's getting the Relic out...and then I think she's going to pass on the powers."

"What?" Sun said.

"But why would she shut the door, then? She's supposed to give us the relic," Neptune said