170: Not Be Ruled

Yang had gone off to throw rocks into the channel. Which wasn't the smartest thing to do in a strange area.

It was chilly this far north, even though it was sunny, but she hardly noticed.

She was just pissed at them all. They didn't know how good they had it, having anyone to stick up for them. No one would do that for her; she always defended herself. They could at least be grateful!

Why did she bother..?

She thought moodily that Ruby probably could have broken it up, and everyone would have just thought she was being a good leader. She could always pull off that because she seemed so innocent. Yang was the one people just thought was angry all the time.

Heck, even Weiss could have pulled it off, because they thought she was just reasonable. Or Blake... Anyone could have had more credibility than Yang. Pyrrha just had to open her mouth and people listened to her.

"Well, I guess I don't exactly seem like the peacemaker." Yang glanced at the water and her distorted reflection in it. "But still..."

"Oh, I completely agree," someone said.

Yang jumped. But she didn't see anyone.

Raising her gun arm, she said, "Who's there?"

"Sorry to startle you," the voice said. "It's just me. Hi."

Yang glanced around, then she looked at the water and saw there was something dark sticking out of it.

It was colored black and reddish, something like a Grimm, but it didn't have the face of one. It just looked kind of like a small lizard's head with more intelligent eyes than a Grimm.

"Who are you?" Yang was more used to animals talking after Underland, but her first thought was it must be one from there that was somehow in Remnant.

"Oh, no need for violence," the head said. "I just was overhearing your little tiff. I think you're right, you know. It's not fair."

"What are you doing out here?" Yang said. "How did you get here?"

She thought she heard some odd hissing in the background, but nothing was visible.

"I've lived here for a long time," said the head.

"No, I have," said another voice.

Yang blinked.

Another head was sticking out of the water not that far away.

It was like the first one but with slightly different markings and horns around it.

"Not as long as I have," said a third.

This one was more colorful, but distributed differently. More black than white.

"You always quibble over who's been here the longest," a fourth one popped out of the water. It seemed to have some seaweed stuck to it. "Look, I found a decoration."

"Hey, I liked that one," a fifth head said. "Give it back."

"It looks better on me," said the fourth one.

"No, it doesn't. Besides you have plenty of other ones in the trove."

"No, you have more than I do!" the fourth one said.

"Oh, please stop talking," a sixth head popped up.

Yang backed up. "What are all of you?"

"You could say we're all one big, happy family," said the first head complacently.

"They say two heads are better than one," said the second. "But I'd want more than that."

"How did talking animals get to this part of Remnant?" Yang said angrily. "Did you come from Underland?"