195: Who Has Lost?

The rest of the day spent walking northward passed somehow.

The air was getting a bit cooler and damper, but it was much warmer than you'd think for this far north, and that was uncanny.

Still, the group was almost glad not to see any more giant Grimm or anything unusual in this landscape.

Shine, with her continual resilience that always mystified them, kept singing songs and seemed cheerful in spite of how close they were to Salem.

Wally also seemed upbeat.

It puzzled most of them. They felt that they were getting too close entirely to Salem, and they almost expected to see her over the next rock or in the sky somewhere.

Sun had to be carried part of the way, as he was still very weak. Blake was keeping a close eye on him.

Sun made light of the whole poison thing and seemed to be enjoying the attention, maybe a little too much, Yang said.

Some of the newly formed couples within the group were less ashamed about holding hands or talking... The attacks had kind of taken embarrassment out of them.

Though Winter had no intention of indulging in PDA in front of the younger members--or the older ones for that matter--Raven was insufferably smug about the whole thing.

Pyrrha did ask Winter what happened, more nicely, and Winter told her a small part of it--only that things had been worked out mostly.

Pyrrha was glad to hear it, and she said that they were good together.

Winter wondered why everyone kept saying that. She'd rather expected the opposite reaction.

Weiss still didn't seem too happy about noticing what was up. She kept shooting them strange looks.

Winter was becoming resigned on her end to Meridian's inclusion. He'd been pretty useful and reliable... She didn't approve of his humor, but it seemed too late to care about being refined. And Weiss did at least seem happier, and that was a mercy, especially in this land.

And it wouldn't matter anyway, Winter decided. They were too close to peril now.

[Always a good philosophy to have about your family's love life... lol.]

There was one pair of people who hadn't really resolved this matter though.

Neptune had been too nervous to bring up what happened with Yang to her--or anyone else except Sun.

Sun was no help. He just told Neptune that Yang probably liked him, and why was he worried about it? Didn't he like her?

Well, Neptune had liked Yang, sure. She was cool... but he really wasn't used to girls hitting on him--if you could call it that--and Yang was... well... not the type he usually was brave enough to flirt with, so he never had tried.

Neptune wasn't the sharpest about the aspects of winning girls over, so he couldn't wrap his head around the concept that that might actually have worked in his favor this time around.

Of course worrying about this now seemed silly... but there was literally nothing else to think about except... well, doom...

Yang was getting real tired of waiting for him to talk to her about it, but was too proud to bring it up herself.

Maybe she'd been a little too impulsive there, she thought. Usually guys didn't mind that... in her experience... but maybe it was weirder when it was a friend.

[I think that's actually true... not that I would know, but it does seem people feel a little weird about it.]

"Dude, just talk to her." Sun finally caught him staring.