16: Tell Your Soul What to Fear

Shine portal-dropped them all right to where Ruby was.

Before the incident happened, Ruby had been rather bored about her time at the party. She'd been hanging out with Marrow--rather against her will--and Penny, which she actually wanted to do, since Ren and Nora were too busy making out to be interested in talking to her.

Marrow and Robyn's Happy Huntresses had not hit it off, to say the least. Luckily, Robyn stepped in to "smooth it over."

Which went about as well as this:

Marrow had said, in order to pacify them, "The General is trying to help Mantle. Just because you can't understand--"

Robyn interrupted this: "What's going on, Wags? Huh, and the pipsqueak is back." To Ruby's annoyance. [Side note: Really trying to push that she's the female Qrow, aren't they? This dialogue is taken from the show, so I didn't make that up. That's like shipping Qrow with himself.]

Marrow chuckled dryly.  "Hmph, we're concerned about security risks, Ma'am. The General doesn't want any surprises tonight."

Robyn took a wary step closer, but then seemed to decide it wasn't worth fighting about.

"Fine, but stay out of the way." Then she added to all of them, "If I get elected tonight, we'll all have to learn how to get along." [Me cringing at how much worse this dialogue is than what I would have written myself.]

"Sure," Marrow said cheerfully. "We won't have any problems, as long as you stay within the law."

Robyn frowned. "The law isn't perfect, you know. It's certainly not equal."

"Trust me, I'm well aware." Marrow moved his tail. [Yeah, it's so unequal how a Faunus holds one of the highest level military positions in Atlas... I mean, can you imagine the inequality he must deal with a total of zero times in the shown parts of both Volumes?]

"My only goal is that all the citizens of Atlas and Mantle, and Faunus, have an equal shot at a good life," Robyn said. [Why do you have to say Faunus separately? Like, they can't all just be citizens? Isn't that more fair? I swear, it's like they had a robot generate lines that politicians say when they wrote Robyn in Volume 7. At least in 8 she's a bit more original.]

"That sounds great, and you're planning to do all that equalizing legally, right?" Marrow said with a raised eyebrow.

Robyn crossed her arms and smirked. "Everything I've done is legal." [😂 🤣 🤡 🤣😂]

"Of course, 100%," Marrow said with a narrow look.

Ruby wished she could nope out of there, but then Fiona, the sheep woman, interrupted anyway by introducing Robyn, who had to go make her speech. So far she had a small lead on Jacques.

Ruby wasn't paying much attention to the speech when she noticed someone familiar in the crowd, and her blood just about froze. It was Tyrian!

Then, like a nightmare, all the lights just turned out, and people began screaming as Tryian went on a killing spree.

Ruby saw him, but other than her, only Penny did, and for some reason she couldn't get a read on him, and he vanished from sight.

It was horrible, but it only took about a minute or so of time, before suddenly the light came back on. Fiona was lying on the stage, bleeding. Penny was standing there, swords out trying to find the source of the killing. Tyrian was gone.

Ruby tried to help Fiona, and then they all heard the TV announcement saying Jacques Schnee had won.

The Happy Huntresses tried to charge the stage, and Marrow had to stop them using his Semblance.