150: Nowhere to Run

Pyrrha sat outside where the fountain and pool was, they were still intact.

It was almost strange how fewer things had changed than you'd think.

She put her face in her hands.

It was hard to bear everyone's anger, she always tried to make people feel better, not worse.

Worst of all, Jaune was still hardly speaking to her. He'd been so grave when they'd come back the day before. Even though she had the relic, two people injured and Oscar in the state he was in didn't look like a very satisfying victory.

But why couldn't they all just be happy it hadn't ended terribly this time? They only ever seemed to see the negative of what happened.

Perhaps she'd been too harsh to Ozpin...perhaps he couldn't help it. But what about everyone else? Surely they had a choice.

Pyrrha didn't know what else to think, but one thing she was sure of was that she'd come to see these relics and magic powers as a curse as much as Shine and Wally and Oscar did. Perhaps that was why she gravitated toward them so much. No one else seemed to grasp how awful the god's control of this world really was. And how badly it needed to change.

A red leaf blew into her path and settled next to her feet. Autumn was here again.

To think she'd actually died since the last time she was here, and come back, and yet...her problems hadn't changed that much. She still wasn't sure if everyone else was where she was with this. It was easy to feel alone.

She looked up at the sky.

But not alone anymore...She'd felt it before, she'd seen it...maybe she was just too caught up in these personal things. Forgetting why she did this at all. Life was a gift. You had to use it wisely.

"I don't know what you want for me," she said, in a low voice. "I think I did as You would have wanted. But I don't know what to do next. Just like before, I don't know if I can do...but back then, I had nothing else to fall back on. It should be different this time...but if You're there...listening, then, I need to know."

She fell silent.

The leaf at her feet was picked up by the wind and hit her in the face, then it shot across the courtyard.

On instinct, Pyrrha followed it. Though it seemed stupid. But she'd done plenty of crazy things in the last two months. [True that.]

The leaf blew all the way out of Beacon's courtyard and down the bridge to Vale.

Finally, it stopped in the center of town, where people were clearing was left of the grimm pods, they'd figured out that freezing them in ice prevented them from exploding, and they could be removed then.

"I've never seen anything like it," they were saying. "It took one look and they were healed."

"I know what it was," said an older person. "It was a divine gift. I've heard of such things."

"Oh sure," someone else scoffed. "It was just his semblance."

"I've never seen a semblance that looked like that," said a third.

"What if it was divine?" said another, a woman. "What if the gods are finally going to show themselves in Remnant again?"

"Those are old wives tales," said the scoffer.

"I'm not so sure about that," The woman said. She pointed at Pyrrha suddenly. "That's Pyrrha Nikos. She died in the fall of Beacon, and here she is."

Everyone looked at her.