130: Gathering

The first thing they noticed about Mistral was it was 30 degrees cooler than Vacuo.

"Geez." Wally rubbed his arms. "How did it change so much in, like, 6 hours?"

"Their airships are much faster than our ships, or this world is smaller than mine." Shine was shivering also. "I should have put on a coat on the plane--I think I still have my Atlas one."

"It's not that bad." Nora never minded temperature change that much. "I lived on the street when I was a kid. I'm just glad to have a jacket."

"You too?" Emerald said.

"Me too what?" Nora said.

"On the streets," Emerald said.

"Huh...oh...oh, right. Hey, samesies," Nora realized. "Wow, I didn't realize we had so much in common. Did you ever have to eat moldy bread?"

"Uh...yeah," Emerald said. "Doesn't everyone do that?"

"Uh...no..." Weiss looked nauseated.

"We don't even eat stale bread," Whitley said.

"You might have to let that go," Libby remarked, "if we can't afford new food all the time."

"The checkpoint," Willow reminded her.

"I've got this." Emerald held up her hand.

With a little hallucination, she had Libby through the security without a second glance...and herself and Mercury, for that matter.

"Well, that was easier than I thought," Whitley said.

"Great Gatsby, if I'd known you had her, I wouldn't have stowed away," Libby said. "Use our skills, boy."

"You shouldn't talk to your CEO that way," Whitley said.

"If you were old enough to shave, maybe that would work on me," Libby shot back.

Qrow was finding this pretty funny to listen to.

"I hope he's not serious about her being his associate," Willow said to Klein. "I can't believe this girl knows anything about business... It would be better to have his father's old associates back, but they seem hesitant to sign the new document."

"I'm sure once Jacques' plea bargain goes through, they'll have no choice," Klein commented. Then in another personality, "Or else!"

Winter was listening to them closely and shook her head.

"Well, your mother and your butler sure seem familiar," Raven said.

"Please don't," Winter said.

"So you can see it," Raven said. "I thought you were blind to things like that."

"Miss Branwen, keep your morbid speculation to yourself," Winter warned.

"Oh brother." Raven rolled her eyes.

"Look out for people with the spider tattoo," Theo was warning Vara and the others near him. "They're spies for Miss Malachite, the person who knows who everyone is in Mistral. She won't bother you unless she's paid for it, but then she'll bother you a lot, let's just say. Don't attract anyone's attention here."

"Great to know we're already being watched," Vara said. She was shivering badly. "I'm freezing... Was it always this cold in Mistral?"

"Poncho?" Theo pulled a folded up one out of his belt.

"Just how...?" Neptune saw.

"No one knows..." Sun said mysteriously.

"It's been a long time since I've been to the capital." Pyrrha was looking around. "Seems a bit different than before."