39: When The Day Has Come

As Atlas fell, Wally and Hazel were still trapped in the school's hanger.

They didn't expect to be joined by Jacques Schnee, but he came stumbling out.

"Ironwood didn't kill you?" Hazel said.

"He didn't kill you?" Jacques replied.

Then he looked out.

"We're all dead anyway..." he said.

"All right, let's not panic," Wally said. "We can still get out of here."

He took out his new scroll. "Shine's not answering though... Maybe they don't have service?"

"The tower is down," Hazel said.

"Oh...right," Wally said.

The city sank faster.

"Does anyone have any ideas?" Jacques said snottily.

Suddenly someone appeared over the edge of the hanger.

Raven...she was using her Maiden powers this time.

She also had Watts in one hand, though he was unconscious.

"Hey, Raven." Wally waved at her.

She frowned at him and dropped Watts on the hanger floor.

"The bandit leader again?" Jacques sounded horrified.

"As if that matters now." Raven gestured out the hanger. "I found this guy trapped. Saw that b---- Cinder set the area on fire using the Staff, then she left. Prior to finding that cursed fiend."

"Okay..." Wally said. "And you didn't think to maybe get the Relic from her?"

"I have no intention of letting them know I was even here," Raven said flatly. "But since I'm pissed that she survived, I decided to screw up her plan of petty revenge and save this b------d." She kicked Watts. "Not that I care for him any more, but it'll screw with her trying to figure out how he survived. Anyway, I thought you might find him useful."

"Watts?" Hazel said. "He won't work with us."

"He might," Raven shrugged. "Give that woman a chance. She's pretty persuasive."

"Which woman?" Jacques said.

"The one who's oddly not here..." Raven looked around. "I thought you'd meet up by now."

"Hopefully she's already gone," Wally said. "She was supposed to go with the kids, I thought, and we were going to go with Qrow on a plane, but he's not back."

"Oh, he couldn't come this close and get away fast enough," Raven said carelessly. "In fact, I'd better go myself. It's about to flood down there."

"Can't you take us?" Jacques said.

"Not all of you, " Raven said. "And no time to make two trips..."

She hesitated. "Maybe one of you... You want to flip a coin?"

"He should go." Hazel nodded at Wally. "The rest of us deserve this."

Raven raised an eyebrow.

"No, no, I'm not leaving you guys here," Wally said. "It's cool, I thought of an idea. All we need to do is wait for right when this hunk of rock hits the ground and run before it has time to cave in."

"That would be the time of maybe a split second," Raven said.

"Yeah, exactly." Wally flexed his fingers. "I do my best work in a split sceond."

He thought. "But not sure I could carry three people... Raven, can you take the two skinny guys here and just drop them out of range of the water and wreckage in the tundra out there? I'll just run out and get them and bring Hazel... Oh, and if you could fly up and tell Qrow to circle over there and pick us up in the ship--we've all gotta get to Vacuo."