Chapter 42.

Charlotte's POV.

I met Harry outside the hotel/restaurant where i was expecting him to take me inside and have our meal.

   "Don't  be mad at me." He blushed.

"Don't give me a reason to be mad.."

   "Tonight there's a charity event i'd forgetten i'd agreed to, and that's why we're here.."

"Okay.."

   "You're not mad?"

I shook my head. "Why would i be?"

Okay - i was a little disappointed that he lead me to believe we'd get to spend a few hours in a romantic and intimate setting. But he's agreed to it, i can't really say no.

Inside it was full of well-known people, no one particularly world-wide famous, but known in the UK. I smiled as i stood holding Harry's arm, often speaking when i was approached.

     It wasn't a atmosphere i'm comfortable in, i'm not Harry.

People from different magazines were walking round, taking photos of couples - Harry and i were even snapped up, i think the woman came from Heat - that's what she said anyway.

I watched as he stood talking to different people, often having a story to share with them. I noticed he was personal with everyone, he always shared a private joke with them, and had that annoying cheeky grin on his face.

      I just stood either holding his hand or arm as i sipped the disgustingly expensive champagne which i didn't really think much of.

A woman came up to us, smiling widely giving Harry a small hug. She was quite small, dressed in a short green dress and nude heels. Her hair almost blonde, parted down the middle.

   She engaged with Harry often touching his elbow making me feel awkward, like i was the one interrupting them. She'd sometimes glance at me but not make conversation.

"Who was that?" I asked once she finally left after an agonizingly long 10 minute talk.

    "Just.. an old friend."

"Old friend as in known her a long time, or old friend as in more personal but you feel too awkward to explain?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

He sighed as we walked and sat on some stools.

   "Old friend as in we.. dated."

My mouth dropped to the floor. "Really? She's.."

   "I know." He snapped, closing his eyes. "Sorry." He blushed. "I was 18, she was 32. It was a short relationship. I thought i was in love with her. I really did."

"How did it end?"

   "Mutual. The media got too much for her."

"Oh."

   "Yeah.."

We both sat in silence. Like since he's been away something's happened.

    This isn't my Harry sat in front of me.

It's now as if there's a glass wall stopping us.

His hand grazed mine and i smiled up at him. "I'll take you home after this, yeah? I know it's not really your scene."

"Oh.." I sigh. "I thought maybe i'd come back to yours?"

   "Um. . well i'm still tired from the travelling and.."

"No, it's okay. I have a bit of a headache actually." I stood up.

He frowned. "Where are you going?"

"Home." I smiled. "This way you can drive straight home, you're tired. It's okay - i'll get a taxi." I gave him a brief kiss on the cheek before leaving the event.

Thank god for that.