David Rossi x Marine!Reader

You watched the team enjoyed the drinks being handed around as JJ and Will had their first dance. You were happy for them as they deserved this after all they had been through. Slowly the dance floor began to fill as the guests began to dance, Spencer pulled you into a dance. Swaying softy, the pair of you joked and told stories. Soon you switched to Hotch, the older man swung you around in a faster dance compared to Reid's. After a while, you switched into Dave's arms. You had fallen for the older man but you also knew that you couldn't be together.

At the end of night, you held an envelope containing your new orders. "Want another drink?" Rossi made his way over as the tables and chairs were being packed away. Everybody had left, just the waiters were left as well as you. Dave's eyes flicked to the letter in your hands. "When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning, 0600."

"Tell anyone?"

"Yes, didn't want to ruin JJ's wedding but I had to tell everyone." He nodded. "When are you coming back?" You shrugged. "Two years." Dave's face fell. "Where are you going?" You shook your head. "Can't tell you that, you know that." He moved closer, bringing you into a hug. "Stay safe, come home." You nodded. You opened your mouth to tell him how you felt, but you couldn't do that to him. You were leaving, you may never come back you couldn't do that. "I will." You moved away. Driving home, you allowed a few tears to fall.

---The Next Day---

You hugged Penelope goodbye, as your flight was called. Straightening your coat, you picked up your bag and smiled at your family. "Come home, okay kitten?" Penny pipped up, while being nestled in the arms of Derek. "I will, honey." The team smiled. "Promise?" JJ double checked. "Promise to try." You hugged Dave one more time before turning and leaving.

---Six months later---

Dave moved into his office whistling, they had just caught the unsub and saved the girl he couldn't be happier. He was also happy about the upcoming video call with you in about an hour. He sat at his desk and filed through the messages that had arrived in his absence. An official seal caught his eye. He opened the letter and his heart stopped.