Part 9

Tom had told Hayden that the ball was going to be in the middle August, a couple of weeks before school started, and right now, it was nearing the time to start preparing for the party.

The ball was in two days and Hayden was trying to decide what to wear. He wasn't too worried, he had a couple good choices in mind, but for some reason he mind kept going to what Draco might like.

Hayden turned from his closet and threw himself on the bed, turning to his side after a minute. Yesterday, his father and mother both were helping him learn the proper manners and such that you use at more formal event as his was going to be.

I have no idea if any of it will stick once the thing actually starts. He thought to himself. He wasn't completely looking forward to the dance. But it was for him so he had to go.

I guess it might not be so boring if Draco is going to be there, maybe he can keep me company?

-

The day of the party, Hayden was called to his father's study. Since Tom had been so busy lately with dealing with the Order, Hayden hasn't seen much of him, so he was excited to possibly be able to spend some time with him before school starts.

Hayden knocks on the door to his father's study. He goes in once he hears his father.

"Hayden!" his father calls once he sees him, "come, sit down! Tell me how you are doing?" "I'm doing great, father! I love it here!" Hayden responds with joy. Tom gives a happy smile back at him.

"How are you adjusting to being a new person? I'm sure it is difficult." "Actually, it hasn't been all that hard. There are some difficult moments, like when I am meeting someone who used to hate me as Harry Potter" Hayden looked down. "I get nervous sometimes around those people" he said quietly.

Tom looked sadly at his son. He stood up from where he was sitting and walked over to Hayden. Leaning down, he took Hayden in his arms and hugged him tight. At first Hayden was shocked and flinched back a little at the contact, but then hugged his father back with full force.

"Hayden, I'm sorry I ever made you feel like this. If I had known who you were, I would've never touched a hair on your head. I love you and I always will" Tom whispered to the boy in his arms, tearing up with the many emotions.

"If I could take back every threat I have ever made on you, I would. I want you to be able to feel safe with me, and I will do everything I can to make sure you do!" Tom gave his son one last squeeze before pulling back.

Hayden had a couple tears streaming down his cheeks. He smiled up at his father. He had never heard anything so heartfelt before, and it was for him. He hugged his father one more time before letting go. "I love you dad!"

After they had both calmed down, they had continued on a lighter subject.

"So, are you excited for the ball?" Tom asked Hayden. He nodded "Yes, I am". Hayden thought for a minute before speaking again. "Father, do you have creature blood?"

"Yes I do, I'm a veela. Why?" Tom asked curiously. "How did you know that mom was your mate?" Hayden asked shyly. Tom smiled. "I'm guessing that you have might've found your mate?" He asked with a smirk. Hayden blushed. "Who is it?" Tom asked.

"Draco" Hayden answered, embarrassed. " Tom smiled knowingly. He had a suspicion when Draco and his parents came to visit the other day. "You just know. It's a feeling that you have, a pull, almost, to the other person who you will spend your life with" Hayden looked thoughtful as he pondered over what his father just told him, that's what he felt whenever he was with Draco, a pull.

"Now" Hayden was pulled from his thought at his father's voice, "I think it's time you get ready for the party, people are supposed to start arriving shortly. Go get ready" Tom said. Hayden smiled and gave his father one last hug before turning to go to his room and get ready.

He was excited, if only just to see Draco. Maybe he can tell Draco tonight that they be mates! Maybe, he thought as he opened his wardrobe.