Part 46

There was only a week left before the second task and Hayden had just started looking at the egg to figure it out.

Deciding to ignore Cedric's advice, Hayden had Draco help him to try and decipher what runes he could find on the shell of the egg.

"Draco?" Hayden called across their room.

"Yes?" Draco answered from his spot on the bed, a book propped in his hands.

"Could you help me with this? I can't figure out what all this means"

Draco put his book down before getting off the bed and walked over to Haydens desk to look at the egg.

"I think these might be Fae Runes" Draco observed.

Hayden looked at him. "How on earth would you know that?"

"I had a lot of free time as a child and a huge library at my disposal. There's not a book in there I haven't read" Draco smirked.

Hayden just rolled his eyes. "Alright then, tell me what it says"

Draco looked closer at the egg, examining the whole thing closely. "I think it says your clue" Draco said as he began to read the runes.

Come seek us where our voices sound

We cannot sing above the ground

An hour long you'll have to look

to recover what we took

An hour long you'll have to look to recover what we took

your time is half gone

so tary not

lest what you seek stay here to rot.

"Well that's a cheery thought isn't it" Hayden said with a grimace.

"What do you think it alluding to?" Draco asked, starting back to the bed.

"Well, it is obvious that the next task is taking place at the black and involves the mermaids living in it. It also tells us that I am going to have an hour to look for something that I apparently lost, but how am I going to spend an hour underwater let alone find whatever I will have to have supposedly lost?" Hayden voiced.

"You got all of that just by me reading it once?" Draco asked, a bit astonished.

"Your not the only one who likes to read" Hayden smirked

-

"Hello mother"

"Hayden, what brings you here so early on a Sunday morning?" Snape questioned as he invited his son into his quarters.

"Well, I figured out the egg, but all the clue did was give me even more questions!" Hayden said as he flopped down on the couch.

"Tell me the clue and we'll see if I can help you" Snape said as he sat down beside Hayden.

"Draco translated it for me" Hayden said before telling his mother the riddle. "I know that the next task will involve the Back Lake and the mermaids that live there, but how am I going to be able to survive underwater for an hour and not drown?"

"That is a tricky question to answer, thankfully, you came to the right person. I will help find something you can use to breathe for an hour underwater, but we also need to discuss the fact that you are a Phoenix and it is not safe for you underwater, do you know why?"

"No, I had no idea! What happens?" Hayden asked.

"It's not a very pretty thing," Severus murmured. "The Black Lake is a magical lake, hence the creatures that live in it, but because it is a magical lake, it is very dangerous for you. You have realized that your wings tend to come out when you feel strong emotions, am I right?"

Hayden nodded his head.

"Yes, well, your wings are connected to your magic as a Phoenix. If you experience any strong emotion, whether it be fear, excitement, joy, or anything, and your wings come out, the lake will drain you of your magical spark and the fire inside your core that makes you a Phoenix. It is a fatal when your wings are exposed for more than a second, even more so when they are drenched in the water. Because of this you must be careful to keep your emotions in check, especially when you realize what will be taken from you"

"Do you know what they will take?" Hayden asked quietly.

"I cannot tell you, even if I did know" Severus said looking at his lap.

A quiet fell over the pair for a long couple minutes that felt like hours.

"Do have anything that could perhaps keep my emotions under control?" Hayden asked, breaking the silence.

"I might" Severus smiled before getting up.