Part 36

"Dragons!" Draco half yelled when it was announced what the champions would be facing.

"No, no! I refuse to let Hayden continue with this!" The blonde declared as he started away from where he was sitting.

"And where are you going?" Pansy, who was sitting next him and Blaise, asked.

"I am going down there to make sure Hayden is far away from this tournament as possible, I will not allow him to battle a dragon all on his own!" Draco said with conviction.

"Sit down, Draco. I'm sure that he will be just fine! He can handle himself" Pansy retorted.

Draco gave her a strange look before turning around and continuing to leave to go get Hayden.

"Draco you cannot go down there" Blaise said getting up to block Draco's way.

"And why not!" Draco asked, trying to get around the Italian.

"Because this is something Hayden has to do whether you like it or not! Now calm yourself down or I'll hex you!" Blaise threatened.

The threat didn't scare Draco at all, but he did come to see reason. Hayden may have not wanted to do this, but it is something he has to do.

Draco took a deep breath a went back to his seat, not caring about the scene that he caused in the Slytherin bleachers.

-

Soon enough, it was time for Hayden to go out to the arena. As soon as he walked through the curtains he could hear the crowd of students chanting his name.

He looked around, not seeing the dragon he was supposed to go up against.

He continued to walk further into the rocky terrain, stumbling on the loose bits of rocks below his feet.

Suddenly, a big spiked something hurls into the rock beside him, causing him to tumble down the small rock slope. He was quickly able to roll out of the way of the next hit, sitting up to look at the think attacking him.

It was the dragon.

The dragon looked at him cautiously before breathing a bout of fire his way causing him to jump out of the way right in the nick of time!

An idea struck him just as the beast raised its tail to strike at him.

"Wait!" Hayden said in Parseltongue, hoping the dragon would be able to understand him.

"Why should I wait for you?" The spiked dragon growled out in a rough manner.

"I don't want to hurt you, especially your eggs! But one of them is a fake." Hayden hissed.

"And how would you know of this?"

"That is the reason I am here. I only want that one egg! That is my task and I will leave as soon as I am able to accomplish it, I swear!" the boy reasoned.

The dragon studied him for a moment before subtly nodding its head.

Hayden sighed in relief before turning around. He started to slowly climb his way out the ditch he was in.

After a couple minutes of struggling to climb out, he finally made it to the top where the egg was.

A couple feet away from Hayden now stood was a small dragon nest where the golden egg lay. Hayden took a step forward before the dragon suddenly flew in front of him blowing fire towards him.

Hayden jumps away a moment to late and his arm gets mildly burned.

What happened! Hayden thought as he jumped out of the way of the dragons spiked tail.

The dragon's tail seems to come out of nowhere and nails Hayden, sending him flying back into a nearby rock.

The second Hayden lands his wings burst from his back, ripping a hole in the back of his uniform where his fiery wings were.

Hayden was erring on the edge of unconsciousness and couldn't quite think straight, but the dragon starting to shrink back was not something he could've missed.

He shakily stood up, the dragon stared, almost seeming worried.

He tooks a couple steps forward, stumbling, and the dragon surprisingly bowed its head.

Hayden stared in confusion through a foggy haze.

The dragon didn't seem like it was about to move anytime soon, so Hayden took a chance a ran to where the golden egg was, almost tripping once or twice.

As soon as he got to the egg he picked it up and turned back to the dragon, who looked guilty.

He took a step backwards, and fell into darkness.