Chapter Thirty-Eight

Jaesung's hands started shaking as he heard all the people downstairs. His breath was shallow as his bed vibrated with the bass of the speakers in the living room playing the loud music. He closed his eyes and shoved his hands underneath his pillow but that didn't stop them or his whole body from shaking. The smell of marijuana and alcohol trickled through the cracks in his door and made him cringe and cover his head with his blankets. He curled up in a ball in the middle of his bed with his whole body underneath the blanket and covered his ears.

None of this helped.

He still couldn't breathe properly and he started feeling nauseous. The music seemed to get louder and the people's laughter echoed through his ears. He wanted to cry but he found out that crying gets him nowhere.

He wanted to go home, he wanted his daddy and he wanted to sleep in his own bed. Hell, he even wanted Hobi. He was tired of being awakened by loud people and/or loud music which sent him straight into a panicky type of state.

Jaesung took a deep breath and slowly sat up. He threw his legs over the edge and stood up on shaky legs. Jaesung slowly shuffled towards his door and opened it ajar. He peeked down the hall and sighed in relief when he saw that no one was there.

It was dark in the hallway but Jaesung could see the light from the living room coming from the stairs and illuminating the opposite wall and area around the top of the staircase.

All Jaesung wanted to do was find a phone and he could only hope that someone in that living room dropped their phone and was too high and/or drunk to notice. His fear began to rise as he neared the top of the staircase and his heart slammed against his ribcage in a fast pace.

When he peeked past the stair railing his eyes widened and vision blurred upon seeing all the people that were down there. He sat down on the top step and wrapped his arms around his stomach as he started getting that queasy/nauseous feeling again.

After about three minutes, Jaesung finally stood up from his spot and started to slowly descend down the staircase. The smoke almost made him cough but he didn't want to draw attention to himself so he held it back. He was already receiving weird and questionable looks from the beyond drunk/high adults that did manage to notice him.

Jaesung kept his eyes trained to the ground in search of a fallen phone, not daring to look up in fear that he might just pass out. He tried not to take such large gasps but his pounding heart and inability of taking in enough hair caused him to do so, feeling his throat and lungs with the disgusting smoke.

Finally, the six year old managed to find a forgotten LG smartphone on the ground. There was a crack on it where someone most likely stepped on it but it still worked. He swiped up the emergency call icon and dialed 911.

"911 what is your emergency?" The dispatcher answered almost immediately after Jaesung tapped on the call icon.

Jaesung hid in a corner of the living room and answered in a small voice, "can you take me home?"

There was a very short pause before the dispatcher asked, "how old are you, sweetie?"

"I just turned six."

"Where are you at?"

Jaesung paused, he wasn't sure how to say it. If he told them that he was at his mother's house then they wouldn't take him home. He looked up for the first time since he's been down there and locked eyes with Minho. Minho stared at him for what felt like an eternity before something seemed to click and he realized that Jaesung had a phone and that Jaesung was downstairs.