Chapter Sixty-Three

It was a long, dark and uncomfortable ride. Haneul was stuck in the trunk, tired from lack of sleep with sore arms and wrists because they had been tied behind his back for hours. The sound of Ahreum screaming and crying (who wasn't in the trunk with him) kept him up and even after the crying dialed down, he refused to go to sleep. He wasn't sure what was happening but he knew damn well that it wasn't good.

They were supposed to go and get ice cream but Emily had called a man who met them near the parlour and everything else was foggy. Haneul remembered Emily asking him if he still wanted ice cream and he was sure he responded with a no because the man was giving him creepy vibes. He wanted to go back home so he could wait for his mommy and daddy to come back and tell him that he was going to have more sisters.

Haneul had already told himself he was getting more sisters and had even convinced Ahreum who obviously didn't care and just continued chewing on whatever toy she had that day.

Haneul didn't understand why Emily had called a big, buff man that resembled an ugly bulldog and to be frank Haneul didn't care either. All he remembered was being asked if he wanted ice cream before everything goes black and then the rest gets fuzzy.

He didn't know how he got in the trunk with his arms tied behind his back. He didn't know why Ahreum had been crying or why she stopped. He didn't know what was happening but the one thing he did know was that he was scared. And that barely ever happened because it's usually him who's doing the scaring besides when his mommy gets mad at him because that's extremely horrifying.

Haneul pulled his legs up and slammed them against the top of the trunk. He did it three more times, each time harder than the last. He thought he heard someone yelling but decided against it before slamming his feet against the top again.

He somehow managed to turn his body to where his head was touching the back of the truck and his legs were on the front where the latch was. Though it was a tight fit and he had to bend his neck to fit, Haneul managed to start kicking the latch with all the strength his body could muster.

That's when the car stopped and he at least twenty seconds before whoever was driving to open the trunk.

'What would Kim Heechul do in my position? He'd probably flirt...what would a King do in my position?'

He heard the car door open and he started panicking. He turned back around, cringing as the rope rubbed against his irritated wrists. He waited, holding his breath.

He flinched when the trunk unlatched and everything seemed to happen in slow motion. He didn't care what he kicked or who he kicked all he knew was that it gave him time. He cried out as he twisted his wrist but it didn't stop himself from jumping out of the trunk.

He collided with the road, his legs completely asleep. Haneul didn't care as he got back up only for the rope tying his hands back to be pulled back. Because whoever's hand was so large and strong, Haneul was able to slip his small, chubby ones out of their bondage and he dashed off.

The bad part about this was they were in the countryside as if they were driving to Busan and it was barely light out so there weren't any cars to stop them. Still, Haneul ran towards the side of the road where a dead-looking field was. There was a house just across the field which was at least 130 yards, but Haneul hoped that one of the residents would see him since the lights were on.

He jumped across the ditch as he picked up his pace, not even deciding to look back, knowing that if he got to the house he could have the resident(s) help him get his sister.

Sadly, he didn't make it very far. The eight year old felt something hard collided with the back of his head before everything went dark.

---