Chapter Forty-Nine

"Today we're going to do a little social activity," Mrs. Huang said as she started writing on the white board, "who here remembers what simple sentences are?"

Haneul and Eleven's hands were the first two to shoot up. They stared at each other before Haneul jumped up from his seat so his hands was raised higher. Eleven started waving his fingers, knowing that movement caught a person's attention more than height did.

"Min Jaesung."

Jaesung stared at the woman with a straight face, "i wasn't raising my hand."

"I know, you were the only one that wasn't. Do you know what they are?"

"Mhm."

"So what are they, give me an example."

"This. Is. Stupid. 'This' is the subject, 'is' is the verb and stupid is the...the..uh modifier."

Mrs. Huang nodded slowly, "good, good but you know better than to use the 'S' word my class, give me a more positive sentence."

Jaesung's straight face become a glare and he crossed his arms, "no."

Haneul sat on his knees and stared at his best friend before looking back at Mrs. Huang and saying, "Jaesungie said a simple sentence, stop attacking him."

"I'm not attacking him, he said a bad word."

"Actually..." Eleven raised his hand, "stupid isn't bad, it means to lack intelligence or common sense and Jaesung said that this is stupid which means he is saying this subject, in particular, is stupid....and that was a very good simple sentence, Mrs. Huang so....i mean...just because you don't like the word stupid doesn't mean it isn't a word and its not a cuss word so it's completely legal in the Book of Adults for us children to use it. Thank you, case closed."

He slapped his desk to give the 'case closed' more effect before looking at Jaesung and Haneul and giving the both of them a thumbs up.

Mrs. Huang was at loss for words before sighing and clapping her hands, "okay, so give me an example of a compound sentence using Jaesung's simple sentence."

"Uh...Jaesung thinks this is stupid so he...he jumped out of the window," Baekyeol said, looking confused, "right?"

".....correct, give me a complex sentence."

They continued reviewing sentences until Mrs. Huang felt that they'd be good in their own and said, "as i said earlier, today we will be doing a social activity. I'm putting you guys in five groups of three since there's fifteen of you—"

"And 3×5 equals fifteen," Haneul interrupted, proud to share to his math skills with the class.

"Yes, thank you Haneul, anyway no, you can't chose your own groups," she used her yard stick to point at the board that had ten questions on it, "you'll be asking your partners these questions and/or any other question you can come up with and you'll write ten simple sentences about them, ten compound sentences, ten complex sentences and five compound-complex. Understood? Then we'll switch papers with another group and circle the subject, verb, direct object and underline the modifiers. Sound fun?"

"Mrs. Huang, anything is fun when I'm in it," Haneul said, "can Jaesungie be in a group with me?"

"Nope," Mrs. Huang pulled out a sheet of paper and started reading off names, "Moon Taeyu, Kim Minwoo and Choi Seunghan in a group, Seo Oliver, Park Baekyeol and Wen Xaojun in a group, Kim Haneul, Chwe Xavier and Kim Hyona in a group, Min Jaesung, Lee Seoksoo, Wong Junghei..."

Haneul pouted at Jaesung and gave him a sad fingerheart before getting up and waddling towards Hyona's desk and plopping his paper down on the desk, "hello, I'm your king, Haneul!"