Chapter 1

(Before we start, I just want to say thank you for returning readers who enjoyed the first book What Really Happens: NCIS. I want to say hello to new readers and thank you for joining us! I'm not saying you have to read the first book, there just may be things that you don't understand if you do not. Of course, if I reference anything from the first, I will leave in the comment the book and chapters I'm talking about. I have GIFs in the very first chapter in the first book of who the character are and will continue to add them for when I introduce someone. Thank you everyone for reading and enjoy! I love you my loves!)

 Thank you everyone for reading and enjoy! I love you my loves!)

Tim's POV:

6:34am

We landed three hours ago. Our rooms are right next to each other. I helped Abby carry her things. We were in there for a few seconds until she threw herself on the bed.

I got to my room and didn't unpack. I sat on the bed and thought of my girl. I thought how much I missed her. I thought about texting her. I don't want to make anything worse. I know this isn't fair for either of us. It's nice to know she's safe.

I don't know how long I sat on the end of the bed thinking of her. When I thought enough was enough, I put the TV on and started channel surfing.

Over there she's probably already at work. I wish I was with her. Good morning baby.

"Is it weird to be nervous? I mean this is an exciting experience, but they don't know us. They don't know how we work, and we don't know how they work. They're our killers but what does it matter if they're going to be the ones who catch them?"

I've known Abby long enough to know that all her questions don't require answers. I can think of one thing and it's that I don't care about the others. I know as an agent I can't say that out loud, but I don't care.

I want to catch these guys, make them pay for what they've done to my family, and go home. I'm sick and I'm tired. Sick I can deal with, but tired is going to have to wait until we get back to Washington. I know what I have to do when I get there. I have my equipment and my brain. It's all I'm going to need. And Abby of course.

"Tim." My mind comes back to the cab that Abby and I are in, heading to our first day in L.A. My phone is ringing, and I didn't notice.

"It's Gibbs." Good thing she brought me back. "Good morning boss."

"McGee!" He's in a shouting mood for early in the morning. "What time is it there?"

I check the watch my girlfriend gave me. "8:25."

"Well, it's 11:25 here. Now tell me something, why you and Abby can't call us back when we call you?"

Abby hears him when he says this. She hides in her coat. "Sorry boss we got in late last night."

Gibbs doesn't yell at Abby. He wouldn't dream of it.

"What's wrong?"

We've been gone for a few hours. What could have possibly happened? Tony couldn't have screwed something up that fast.

"It's Melissa." I hear him take a deep breath as my body tenses. "She's gone."

I don't know what he means by gone and I don't bother to stick around and find out. I hang up the phone. As much as my blood freezes and my body has no feeling left in it, I manage to yell at the driver. "Back to the hotel. Now!"

9:50am

I told Abby what Gibbs said and she froze too. I was leaning over the passenger seat, making sure the driver was going the speed limit if not faster and he was taking every chance he could to get in front of everyone. She was able to ask what it meant but I wasn't able to tell her. I told her I didn't stay on long enough to find out.

I got my stuff and called the head director of NCIS over here. She told me that she understood because her team would do the same. She even called ahead to have a plane ready for us. I quickly thanked her and helped Abby with her bags.

When I got in the cab again, I called someone who I knew who wouldn't be too busy to talk. Palmer. I asked him what was going on. He said that all he knew was that Melissa didn't call Gibbs when she was supposed to and never ended up at Ziva's house. Then, he said that her dad found her phone on the floor. I was surprised he mentioned James.

We did not come this far to lose the relationship like this. I did not start writing in this journal when I couldn't sleep without her just so she could never see it one day. I did this for her. She wanted me to start writing again. It's for her and about her.

The thought that James found the phone mind boggles me. The things that Melissa has told me about him make my stomach turn. Her childhood went bad and he did nothing to help. He gave her a knife to protect herself from other kids. That's more than my father did for me, but he is her father. The one that I love doesn't deserve to remember an awful childhood, she doesn't deserve to remember her mom dying and her dad along with her. She doesn-

Abby jumps when I throw the journal across the plane. Neither of us do anything about it. I wait to gather my thoughts of what the hell we're going to do when we get there.

My hands starts to form a fist thinking of who could have done this to her. She wouldn't just leave her phone on the floor. She wouldn't miss work. She loves work, I know that. Someone did this to her and I need to find out who.

Abby starts to get the journal. I stop her and get it myself. My emotions were out of line. I shouldn't have thrown anything.

"Sorry." I say as I pick up the journal.

I sit down next to her as she puts her arm in mine. "Don't worry McGee. We'll find her."

She's right. She's got to be.

"Palmer said," I try to push back the horrible thoughts I have. I have to stay positive for my girl and for Abby. But it's hard. "her father found her phone on the floor."

I can see Abby close her eyes. She's trying not to think the worse just like me. Her breathing has changed. Mine does that too when I'm angry. I try not to form a fist again because I don't want to scare Abby.

She looks at my journal and picks it up. I trust her. She would never read someone's private thoughts. That's not who she is. She examines it, then she throws it across the plane. Believe it or not. It went faster and harder than when I threw it.

"I thought since you did it, it would help." She sighs. I pat her on the back, so she knows it's alright.

Once again, I get the journal and sit down. I look at the time and we have a little more than an hour until we land.

I'm coming back for you Melissa.