Chapter 56

Melissa's POV:

"What was that about?" I ask Abby as she pushes me into the hallway.

"They just want to talk to Tim about a few things."

"Oh." I wonder if they're telling him that this is a bad idea. Maybe they're convincing him to come clean to Gibbs sooner than we are comfortable with.

"Melissa. This rule goes deeper than you. Believe me, they meant what they said in there."

I try to relax and take my mind off the possibilities I just thought of.

"So, how does it feel?"

I try not to burst with joy but it's really hard. "It feels great. I feel like I don't have to tiptoe around everyone with what we do and what we say, we can just do it. You know?"

As usual she brings me into a hug. "I'm so happy for you. A little bummed I'm not the only one who knows the huge secret, but I knew it wouldn't have lasted forever."

I take in what she says and she's right. We can't be this way forever. Somehow that's a scary thought. The fact that there are still people that I haven't told.

"What's wrong?" I forgot that Abby was talking to me.

"It's just that I just remembered that I never told James."

She tilts her head. "James? Your dad? You never told him?"

I shake my head. "No, I remember in the beginning it was because he didn't even like the fact I was working here, so he definitely wouldn't like the idea of me dating someone from here. I just found out why he was against me working here." I don't want to tell her what he told me. But his fear of losing me to this family is kind of coming true when I think about it.

"Melissa. I love you. And sometimes that comes with tough love. You're a grown woman. You have an adult job and an adult office. No offense I know how much every single person makes here. If he still has a problem with it just move out. You can afford it now."

Little does she know the guilt and the whole past that comes with it.

"I don't know what happened with you two, but I know not everything is sunshine and rainbows. I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to put yourself first for once."

I hate that she's right and that she doesn't even know everything about our relationship. It must be a sign.

"Do you think you will tell him?"

I doze off. "Maybe tonight."

"Tonight? Whoa. Didn't know I was that good at persuasion."

My mind comes back to the hallway. "No. I'm sorry. We're just going out tonight to celebrate my promotion. It might be the best time."

After confirming my plans, Abby and I went back inside because it was getting too suspicious that we were just standing there with her door closed.

There were seconds of reuniting when Gibbs walked in and scared us all. Luckily, he just wanted the agents and sent me to my office. I hope it wasn't too noticeable that I ran out of there.

James picked out the restaurant for tonight and it is more than fancy. He brought us to this Italian restaurant, and I had to dress up. If I have to dress up to have a meal, then the restaurant is fancy.

"Relax." He sees me being careful with everything I touch and being uncomfortable by just sitting here. "We have money for this I promise. It's just food."

Fancy food. I won't be surprised if I have to put my pinky up when I drink.

Speaking of the drinks the waiter comes over to pour wine into my glass. "Oh no, it's-"