Chapter 35

Melissa's POV:

Why is this horrible feeling back and stronger than ever? I heard this amazing news, but something is off. I have no idea what it is, but I can feel it coming. I'm getting dizzy from all these emotions.

The moment I finally catch myself out of my daze and open my laptop back up, there's a knock at the door.

"Come in?" I ask. The feeling in my stomach has moved to my knees and not in a good way.

The door opens and Tim is revealed. "Hey. I-is it a bad time?" He looks nervous and paler than usual. It must be the case like Abby said. I'm happy he's here because I can tell him that I know this case is hard on him and that I'm here whenever he needs me.

I have to ease into it though. It has been awhile since we actually had a conversation. I've missed him and somehow, I miss him more now that he's in front of me. "No, you can come in." It's weird for us to be talking like this. I'm used to just rambling on and having him find it amusing.

He doesn't say anything as he closes the door behind him. He walks over to the couch and hesitates to sit down; then decides not to.

"You can have a seat-" I start to say.

"No, um, that's not a good idea."

I know we're at work, but the door is closed. The pit of my stomach is filled with this feeling that something bad is coming. I feel it the most, whenever he decides to actually look me in my eyes.

"Are you okay?" I ask nervously.

He doesn't look at me. "No, not really."

"What's going on?" I begin to stand but he puts his hand up and backs away. It tugs at my heart a little, but I sit back down.

He starts to pace, and then faces the wall. He won't look at me. I hear a sniffle. He turns to me, wiping his nose but stays at a distance. "We have to talk... about us."

I smile. "Yeah, I agree."

"Really?"

"Of course." I decided to stand, and he doesn't move away from me. "I heard this case has been hard on all of you guys. I know that it's different now with me being the Psychologist, but I want you to know that no matter the title-"

"What are you talking about?"

"Abby told me-"

"Never mind that." He cuts me off again. He walks away and rubs his hand through his hair. "I don't know what Abby told you but that has nothing to do with us. I want to talk about us." He's raising his voice.

"Why are you so upset?"

"Because we can't be together!" The one time he looks at me, and he says the words I never thought he would say. I couldn't have heard him right. That is until he repeats himself. "We can't be together." He practically whispers.

He's breathing heavy. I take a few steps toward him. "Look I don't know what's been going on in the case..."

"It isn't about the case! Are you even listening to me?" He walks past me in another attempt to get away from me. Why is he doing this? Why isn't he looking at me? "We aren't healthy together."

I turn to him and he finally keeps his eye contact with me. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Do you know how lost I was when you were taken from me? It was like someone had pulled the rug out from under me and I had no reason to get up unless we got you back."

That doesn't make sense. "I would have done the same for you."

"It doesn't end there. I was lost while you were home. You were with James. You had Ziva and I was still worried about you. I can't even remember the beginning of this case because my mind and my heart was with you."