Chapter 69

Melissa's POV:

Melissa's POV:

I wake up this morning, not feeling the Christmas spirit at all. Will I act like I do all day? Yes. Will I enjoy it? Probably not.

On a day like today, I never know whether James will sleep in or not. Sometimes he does and it's because he doesn't want to face the fact that it's a holiday without her. Or he's up because he doesn't feel the spirit of Christmas, therefore he doesn't feel bad.

Not that he's feeling bad for the holidays that we lost. He's feeling bad because of the holidays she'd not here with us. I'll take what I can get.

Once I'm up, I spend time wrapping the present that I got James, even though it's not worth wrapping since he'll tear it once he gets it. I just want to put in that extra special time.

Every relationship in my life has been changing. James' and my relationship has changed drastically this past year. We say more than two words to each other. We talked about our feeling more than once. He took me out to celebrate my promotion. I feel that without the new relationships I've made this year, I don't think we would be where we are now.

She'd be proud of us. I know she would be.

To be honest, it's easier to think of her right now than where my relationship with Tim stands. I know we're not broken up, but how do I come back from accusing Sarah of being addicted to drugs, when I hear time and time again it was her roommate.

I want to text him Merry Christmas, but I decide to wait to see if he will show up to Gibbs'. If he does or doesn't, that doesn't matter because he would've still had time to think and spend time with her. I know I took some of that time away.

I know that night in front of my house was scary, but maybe she was just being a sister protecting her brother. I wouldn't know. I don't have any siblings.

I thought we were moving in the right direction. She made it known that we weren't with the way he was writing. I have all the hope in the relationship, and he's been pretending to save my feelings. It's something we won't talk about today. I'm trying to decided if I'll bring it up to begin with because it wouldn't be the first time I was tricked by someone's writing.

I go upstairs and can smell coffee. I'm glad he isn't sleeping in. I'm actually not sure if he did or not since I took me forever to wrap this present.

If I can do this, so can he.

He sees me appear and immediately looks at the present. "Oh, don't tell me you got me something kiddo."

I sit on the side of the couch closest to him. "I did. Deal with it."

He's confused because it's a two-part present. He doesn't know what to open first. He exams the thin, small, square present. "This feels like a present I would have gotten long ago."

"You might be right." I know he knows what it is. He just doesn't know what the other present is. He might piece it together, but I doubt it.

"You really shouldn't have done this kid." He says as he rips the paper. He's able to tear the whole thing off after the first try and starts laughing. "Classic Rock Hits You'll love." He's grinning from ear to ear. I haven't seen that smile since Gibbs stayed over and they were causing a ruckus in the kitchen. "Thanks kiddo." He puts his arm around me and kisses me on the head.