Chapter 73

Melissa's POV:

Melissa's POV:

I'm cold and I'm exhausted.

This week has been something I never thought I would ever have to go through. I never wanted to be right about Sarah. I just wanted to help. My gut feelings gets me in trouble. I know that by now. There was just a part of me that wanted to believe Tim.

She's his sister and he should know her best. I've come to learn that just because your siblings, just because you're blood, that doesn't mean anything. I looked in the rearview mirror a bunch of times while I was waiting in Tim's car and realized that I've been the biggest hypocrite of all this week. I shouldn't have crossed the line with his family or assumed that she was perfect because he is to me. I should've just stayed away. I thought that until he came into Gibbs' house confessing what he found to be true.

It didn't make me feel any better that I was right. I hated that he even felt like he had to apologize for not believing me.

We both knew it would've been a bad idea if I went into that place with him. She's starting to get better. If she saw me, it would've just been a setback in her treatment. She went after me the moment she met me. I know it wasn't anything against me. It's that she thought she was losing something when she already lost so much.

I can't say I would've done the same. I can say that I would have done anything to stop that from happening.

When we get back to Tim's place, we see my car is in front of his place. Ziva and Abby were nice enough to bring it over since they carpooled to Gibbs' on Christmas.

Tim and I change into comfortable clothes when we get inside. He's wearing his plaid pajama bottoms and a T-shirt while I wear his sweatshirt and only that.

I join him on the edge of the bed and wrap my arms around his neck. "How are you doing?" I know I haven't made this week easy on him. I'm a part of the problem.

"Is it bad to say that I'm doing better without her here?"

I kiss him on his neck, so he relaxes for once. "You're doing better because you know she's getting help. You don't have me in your ear telling you what I think."

He takes my arm to bring me next to him instead of behind him. "I should have listened to you."

"What good would've that done? It wouldn't have made it easier."

"Maybe, but I would have seen you yesterday. A lot would have been different between us these past few days if I listened." I hear his voice crack and go back to hug him.

"Doesn't it matter that we're here now? Together?"

He smiles and I rub my thumb against his cheek. "Yes. It's the only thing I could be happy about right now." He rubs my leg and rests his head on mine. "I love you."

I hug him tighter. As I do, I see the bag that I've been carrying ever since I went to Gibbs house. It was risky bringing it there, but I didn't give myself a choice because I was too excited about it.