Chapter 46

Melissa's POV:

"Tony." I shake my head. "You don't have to. I wanted to tell you guys. This all started because of me."

"And it's going to end with you." He's looking me in my eyes. With everything that was shared, it's like he can see the real me now.

He pulls back and tries to get the words out. "You're going to stay here. I want you here. We all want you here. I can't open up to anyone else, but you. If you're not going to stay for yourself. I'm keeping you here for me."

I didn't want this to happen, but him saying those words make me form a real smile.

I let out a sigh. I didn't get enough practice to even ask my friends personal questions, but he isn't giving me much of a choice.

He's moving around trying to get comfortable. "Maybe. Start with a question?"

Right. "O-Okay." I think and I think, and the only option is to start this off by getting deep. "Are you and your dad close?"

He fake laughs. "The closest we get is the fact that I have his name. He doesn't let me forget it either."

Don't I know that.

"Were you ever close?"

"Nope. I was always away."

He was always away? James was normally at the bar, but I was always at home. "I'm sorry I don't know what you mean."

"I was sent to boarding schools and camps. I was the one who he sent away, so he didn't have to move." He seems comfortable with talking about this.

I don't mean to, but I start to smile. "Tony in boarding school. I can picture it just fine. Did you like it?"

"Not at first. Then, I started to get used to seeing new faces every few months. I was closer to temporary friends than I ever was to him."

That makes me wish I was there for him. I couldn't do anything about it, but it makes me wish I could. "Why do you think that is?"

He sighs. He makes a gross look. "He was an American Civil War Reenactor. I had to carry the poop bucket in the re-enactments. He never needed me for anything else. And when I was in the way, he sent me away."

I can't imagine. If James sent me away after my mom died, I don't think I could ever forgive him. Even though, I barely had him when he was drunk, he was still there.

"I'm sorry, Tony."

"No. The fact that we were ready to talk about him, I was hasty. We are better in certain aspects."

Oh, like me and James. It helps me that I can relate to him in a way and makes it easier for him to open up.

"Which are?"

"Women mostly."

Not the answer I was expecting. "Women."

"I know it's not the healthiest of things, but it's something."

I know what I want to ask, but I don't think I should. I know he said he wants to open up to me, but maybe I should take baby steps.

"Hey. I see your face. Don't hold back now."

It's amazing how well he knows me. I love and I hate it.

"I just want to ask, how it makes you feel when he's with these women?"

"You mean do I think of my mom?" I shake my head. "Yeah, but in the way that I know he will never love anyone the way he loved her. He has girlfriends, they never last though. I think it gives me peace of mind that he still loves her."