Chapter 85

Melissa's POV:

Melissa's POV:

I can replay the words in my head 100 times and they still won't make any sense. This can't be real. None of this is real. I don't think my heart is beating. I can't feel my feet move, but I am because the man in front of me is getting farther away from me. I can't speak, but there's nothing to say when all I can hear is the words playing in my head. All I can do is back away further from the man who's clearly delusional.

"Did you hear me?" He asks and he inches closer to me.

"Stop walking towards me!" I shout and he stops. "Yes, I heard you, you psycho." Is the first thing that comes to mind to say.

I look to James who's still on the couch. I run in front of him. "Dad tell him to stop. The joke is over." I beg him while my voice cracks. "I get it. Payback for me and Tim lying to you this whole time. Tell him to stop now."

He looks up at me and there are tears are down his face.

I've only seen him like this once.

That must mean it's true.

"No," I back away from him too. "Why are you two doing this?" My heart is beating through my chest. I feel like the room is spinning, but it might just be me.

I turn to Gibbs and the tears are in my eyes. I can barely see him. "I'm sorry that Tim and I kept this from you. I'm sorry for what I said. Just take what you said back. Jokes on me, right?"

He keeps trying to come near me, but I back away again.

He notices and stops trying. "I can't do that." He says. "Please sit." He points at James' chair. I've never sat here before. It always felt as if it was forbidden.

"Please." I hear James say. "You might as well. It's out now."

I slowly sit down with my mouth wide open and tears still in my eyes. They have to be high or something. This can't be happening. This has to be a sick joke for what I said to Gibbs and for leaving James in this house alone.

I'm squeezing the chair tight with my hands.

"Melissa," Gibbs starts and all I can do is look at him. I don't have a choice. "James and I have known each other longer than you think."

"How long." I demand with tears waiting for their chance to fall. If this is true, what else have they been hiding form me? "How long!"

"30 years." He answers. 30 years? I thought they met over the *hone when he called him to say that they found me. I'm not even 30 yet. This doesn't add up.

"Kiddo," James begins. I get chills when he calls me that, because from where I'm sitting that nickname has always been a lie. "You know that I was in the marines, right? It's why I have this cane."

"Yeah, so?" I wish they would just get on with it. Now I know what Gibbs was going through yesterday.

I won't address the nickname yet. I want my own answers for once.