Potions

Jessamine decided after two days that the owlery was her favorite spot in the castle.
It was very quiet and she had a beautiful view across the forest near the castle. Sometimes she thought she spotted something white amidst the dark green trees, but that could have been her imagination.

History of Magic was rather dull, but Jessamine had gotten to know the Ravenclaw Luna Lovegood.
Admittedly, she was a bit strange, but Luna definitely saw more than people gave her credit for.

And that worried Jessamine a little bit.

She didn't need a smart Ravenclaw figuring out who, or actually what she was.

Those thoughts were interrupted when she realized she'd better go to her next class.

Potions.

Everybody seemed to hate it, but Jessamjne was determined to make up her own mind before judging the subject.

The dungeons were cold, as always, and Jessamine thought her heart was stopping for a moment when Professor Snape swept into the room like a big shadow.

She saw Harry and Ron sitting at a table across from her. Harry nodded at her and Ron did the same reluctantly after Harry poked him with his elbow.

Jessamine didn't understand what the redhead's deal was.
Maybe I should ask him, she thought to herself.

Professor Snape stood at the front of the classroom, his eyes sweeping across every student. He barely glanced at the other Gryffindors, but his face darkened when he saw Harry.
Jessamine saw his eyes burning with hatred.

I wonder why, she thought.

Suddenly he spoke in a low tone of voice.
"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making," he began. He did not even need to shout, everyone heard him, even if they would not want to listen.
"As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death—if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

So he has high expectations in class, Jessamine concluded mentally. That has to be good.

"Potter!" said Professor Snape suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"
It was so silent you could have heard a needle drop.

Harry just stared blankly at Professor Snape and said quietly: "I don't know, sir."

It went on with two more questions, all which Harry could not answer.

Hermione, however, knew, which got obvious when she stood up and waved her hand around.
Professor Snape snapped at her for doing that, so Jessamine realized he did not like people showing off their brains.

Another thing to remember to survive in his class, she thought.

He had given them instructions for a potion and stalked around the classroom, inspecting each cauldron.

Jessamine thought hers actually looked good and felt pride bubbling inside her when Professor Snape walked past her and said: "Good, Lince."

That was also the moment she realized, that he really favored the Slytherins.

Hermione's potion looked perfect, yet he did not even glance at it.

Jessamine shot her a sympathetic look, to which Hermione responded with a weak smile and a shrug.