House Cup

Jessamine fed Esma a big piece of bread. She was trying to thank the blackbird for bringing back Professor Dumbledore, so she was spoiling her rotten with food.

Esma did not mind.

They were in the Great Hall, which was decorated in silver and green. All Slytherins were looking very proud and were sure, that they had won the House Cup, as they had the year before.

Jessamine however, had the feeling that Professor Dumbledore had something up his sleeve.

When Harry came into the hall, Jessamine raced over to the Gryffindor table to give him a hug.

"I'm glad you are out of the hospital wing", she said and smiled joyfully.
Ron patted Harry on the back and Hermione gave him an enthusiastic hug as well. When Neville sat next to Harry, Jessamine gave him a hug too.

Neville's surprised was written all over his face, so Jessamine explained: "I thought it was very brave, what you did."

His round face rapidly changed color.

Ron tapped her shoulder and when she turned around, he said awkwardly: "Madam Pomfrey said you did a good job with my head, so-uhm, thank you, Jessamine."

He fidgeted with his fingers.

"Your welcome", Jessamine smiled warmly, "you did a great job with the chessboard too."

"Students", the Headmaster called out as everyone was seated.
"It is now time to award the House Cup."

The Slytherin table erupted in cheers, except Jessamine, who carefully watched the white-bearded man listing the points.

Gryffindor had 312 points, Hufflepuff had 352, Ravenclaw had 426 points and Slytherin 472, which would actually make Slytherin the winner of the House Cup.

"However", Professor Dumbledore raised his voice again and Jessamine had to grin.

She had suspected a twist.

"There are some last-minute points, I would like to dish out."

The Great Hall got real quiet.
"Firstly, to Ms. Hermione Granger, for cool use of intellect, where others were in grave peril, fifty points."

The Gryffindor table cheered loudly.

"Secondly, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, I award fifty points, for the best chess game Hogwarts has seen in many years."

Jessamine clapped loudly with the Gryffindors and laughed at Ron's red face.

"That's my brother!", she heard Percy say, "he got past Professor McGonagall's chessboard!"

"And third", Professor Dumbledore went on, eyes twinkling, "to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award sixty points."

Jessamine rejoiced with the Gryffindors and saw Draco sitting glumly in his seat. For a moment she felt bad for him, he must have been excited to win the House Cup.

Gryffindor and Slytherin were now both tied by 472 points.

"There are two more things, I would like to add", Professor Dumbledore spoke and everyone quieted down again.
Would he give Gryffindor one more point?

"It is hard to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal harder, so stand up to your friends. To Mr. Neville Longbottom, I award fifty points."

The following roar was deafening, the Gryffindors were clapping loudly and patting Neville on the back.

Neville had sunken into his seat, smiling broadly with a scarlet-red head.

Jessamine felt happy for them, and she wasn't upset by Gryffindor winning the House Cup, she hadn't cared much for the points anyway.

"Now, I know you are excited for the feast to start", Dumbledore raised his voice a last time, "but there is one more person I would like to award points to."

Jessamine looked at him in confusion. Gryffindor already had 522 points, why would he award even more?

Professor Dumbledore looked at her and his eyes twinkling, he said: "To Ms. Jessamine Lince, for showing compassion and always standing up for the ones dear to her, I award, fifty points."

Jessamine was baffled, as the Slytherin table started cheering.
Now Gryffindor and Slytherin were tied again.

"Go Jess!", she heard one of the Weasley twins shout.

"Now", Professor Dumbledore spoke, "I believe we have some redecorating to do."

He clapped his hands, and the flags hanging in the Great Hall changed their color. They were now green and silver on their left half, and red and gold on the right.

"Slytherin and Gryffindor both win the House Cup!", Professor Dumbledore declared and sat back down.

Jessamine felt people patting her on the back, mostly older Slytherins she did not recognize. Draco had a pained expression on his face, probably because he was torn between winning the House Cup and having to thank her for it.

Harry gave her a thumbs-up from the Gryffindor table and Jessamine felt joy bubbling inside her.

Looking to the High Table, she saw Hagrid beaming at her, even Professor Snape gave her a court nod.

Jessamine smiled happily at Esma, sitting on her shoulder.

She could not wait for next year.