An interesting offer

It was nice and cozy in Professor Dumbledore's office.

Although Madam Maxime had seated herself on one of the five chairs before Professor Dumbledore's desk, which were arranged in a half circle, she was still two heads taller than Mioha.

Mioha sat two chairs next to her and had to put her head back if she wanted to meet the woman's eyes.

Professor Dumbledore was busy petting Fawkes while waiting for the other three, whoever were supposed to fill the remaining chairs. The phoenix crooned with relish, his figure slumped against Professor Dumbledore's shoulder and his eyes heavy-lidded.

Mioha smiled at the picture before her.
It was rare that a phoenix would bind himself to anyone, but when it did happen that bond was stronger than any friendship between men and lasted a lifetime.

I wonder what will happen to Fawkes when Professor Dumbledore...
That thought gave her a heartache, so she didn't finish it. Professor Dumbledore had made her feel like at home when he invited her to stay at Hogwarts, and she would not forget that.

She wouldn't forget anything the Professors had done for her.

Her thoughts got interrupted when the office door opened softly.

"Professor Dumbledore", a gruff voice said.

Mioha turned her head slightly and recognized Professor Karkaroff. She saw him narrowing his eyes at her out of the corner of her eyes.
Yes, he recognized her from the door incident.

The headmaster of Durmstrang took a seat next to Madame Maxime, while Mr. Bagman and Mr. Crouch entered the office as well.

"Good day, Professors!", said Mr. Bagman cheerfully, shooting Mioha a wink.
"And who is this young lady?"

Much to Mioha's discomfort, the former Beater took a seat right next to her, while Mr. Crouch seated himself onto Madame Maxime's opposite side.

"That is why I have asked you to come here", Professor Dumbledore started and folded his hands calmly onto his desk.
"It is about the first task for the three champions of Beauxbatons, Durmstrang and Hogwarts."

"Then she shouldn't be in here", Professor Karkaroff interrupted, shooting Mioha a suspicious glance.

"Yes, I am aware of that. However, before we continue..."
Professor Dumbledore focused his eyes on Mioha.
"Ms. Lince, would you be willing to take a vow to not reveal anything to anyone what has been discussed in this room?"

"Professor Dumbly-dorr!", Madam Maxime exclaimed, "you cannot be zerious! Ze tasks of ze Triwizard Tournament are supposed to be a mystère! Nous pouvons pas parler de ça à cette élève!"

The woman was so agitated, she switched back into French.

"You just want to secure the award for Hogwarts", Professor Karkaroff accused Professor Dumbledore angrily.

"This is exciting!", said Mr. Bagman and rubbed his hands together.

"Is this necessary?", Mr. Crouch asked in a flat voice, deep, purple rings standing out from his sunken face.

Mioha did not say anything, she just kept looking at Professor Dumbledore.
If he wanted her to know something about the first task, then she should take the vow. She didn't want to be accused of helping the Hogwarts Champion.
Professor Dumbledore's eyes had serenely rested on Mioha the entire time, ignoring the enraged French lady and the taunting Professor.

Mioha nodded at him.
"Splendid!", Professor Dumbledore approved of her decision.

"The vow you will take is not an Unbreakable Vow", explained the wizard, "it will merely prevent you from doing what you vow not to."