Hidden memories

Voices reached Mioha's ears, although she could not understand what they were saying.
It sounded like she was underwater, hearing distorted words that made no sense.

She was drifting in the darkness, which surrounded her like a warm blanket. All that was left from the pain was a hollow ache inside her head, but it subsided slowly as time passed.

"Mioha", someone called out to her, the voice so quiet she barely noticed it.

She was so tired, she didn't want to move.

Let me sleep, she thought blearily as she drifted further away into black unconsciousness.

The next time she regained a sense of her surroundings, her mind felt clearer.
The Slytherin fought to open her heavy eyes and blinked when she looked into a bright light.
Something blurry was leaning above her, with blue twinkling orbs that stared down at her.

Mioha blinked a few times.

"Professor Dumbledore?", she croaked, her throat raw from screaming.

"Mioha", the old wizard said, his face slowly coming into view.
He had a worried look in his eyes, and hadn't Mioha still felt a little woozy, she would have noticed he had switched the way he addressed her.

"Can you hear me?"

Mioha nodded numbly, her body feeling like it had been encased with lead.
She tried to speak again, but her voice hurt too badly.

"Madam Pomfrey will be here in a minute", said Professor Dumbledore and disappeared from her view.

Mioha took a raspy breath and blinked several more times. The bright light wasn't really helping.

Another face appeared above her, but this time it was Madam Pomfrey.

"Can you sit up?", the matron asked gently.

Mioha nodded again, not trusting her aching throat.

She struggled into a seating position, feeling Madam Pomfrey support her with a hand at her back.

The older witch tucked a few pillows behind Mioha, who leaned back with a relieved breath.

She rubbed her eyes a few times, noticing that beside Madam Pomfrey stood the headmaster and Professor Snape.

"Here."

Madam Pomfrey pressed a vial into her hand, the smooth glass feeling cold against her heated skin.

"It will help your throat."

Mioha lifted the vial to her lips, glancing at Professor Snape with a confused look in her eyes.

"Whoever had obliviated you created a barrier around the memories that had been deleted", the Potions Professor stated bluntly.
"I cannot retrieve your memories for you, nor find out who it was without inflicting a great amount of pain on you."

Setting down the vial after emptying its (foul-tasting) content, Mioha felt the potion soothe her throat instantaneously.

"Do you know who would have a reason to obliviate you?", Professor Dumbledore asked seriously.

Mioha shook her head.

That was the part she was afraid of.
She couldn't remember anything of the second half of the night.
What if something awful had happened to her, and now she did not know of it?

"I have informed the staff to keep an eye on you during lessons and in between", said the headmaster firmly.
"Professor Moody has agreed to keep his eye on you as well, he will inform me of anything amiss."