Buckbeak

„All right, com' on!", Hagrid led them excitedly through the Forbidden Forest until they reached a glade

„All right, com' on!", Hagrid led them excitedly through the Forbidden Forest until they reached a glade. The Slytherins and Gryffindors gathered there, watching dumbfounded as Hagrid returned with several winged creatures with chains around their necks, the ends of the chains ending in his fist.

„These", Hagrid boomed, „are hippogriffs. First thing ya wanna know about hippogriffs, is that they're very proud creatures, very easily offended. Ye do not want to insult a hippogriff. It may just be the last thing ye ever do. Now, who'd like to come and say hello?"

When no one volunteered and Hagrid's face fell, Harry pulled himself together and stepped forward.

„Good, Harry!", Hagrid said, brightening, and slung the chains of the other hippogriffs around a post, before releasing a grey one from its chain.

Jessamine hadn't stepped forward because she didn't want to be in the center of attention. And Draco Malfoy had somehow found out about the troll incident, so keeping a low profile was the best option.

„So firstly", Hagrid instructed the Gryffindor, „you need to bow to Buckbeak. And look into his eyes, don't blink too much, that's a sign of mistrust."

Harry gulped, then slowly bent his torso and bowed deeply before the hippogriff.

Then he straightened back up.

Buckbeak stared back for a moment, then lowered his head as well.

„Well done, Harry!", Hagrid praised him and started clapping, the others joining in.
„I guess he'll let you pet him now."

Harry cautiously stepped closer to the large beast and stretched out his hand.

Buckbeak tilted his head slightly, before leaning forward, eyes closing in satisfaction as Harry pet his head softly.

„That's good", Buckbeak cawed, „continue, human."

„Great", Hagrid beamed at Harry.
„I reckon he'll let you ride him."

Harry looked up startled.
„What?"

Without listening to Harry's protests, Hagrid lifted the teenager as if he were a doll and set him down on Buckbeak's back.
„Don't pull on his feathers, he doesn't like that", Hagrid added.

„I'm not a simple horse", Buckbeak screeched loftily, but reared up when Hagrid slapped him lightly on the behind.

The hippogriff dashed forward, Harry clinging in panic to his neck, spread his large wings and took off.
Some students cheered as they watched the hippogriff fly elegantly through the air, before descending again and landing roughly on the ground.

Jessamine breathed out in relief and clapped along with the others.
Hagrid distributed the hippogriffs among the students, tying them each to a post.