Chapter 72: It's Either Us or Him

We were at my uncle's, but we were never close, he always treated me with nothing but disgust. I was never even close to being treated like his daughter or son. But even though I wanted him to meet my fiancé, the love of my life.

"Uncle Albert, I missed you" "yeah, I know you did" he hugged me emotionless. "it's been a while," I said "yeah" "I missed you Val" my cousin Trey said smirking. "I want you all to meet someone," I said excitedly "and who would that be?" Francisca asked, she's my cousin "This is Richard, my fiancé," "hello sir. It's a pleasure to meet you." Richard shook his hand "Oh my god, I'm very happy for you dear" aunt Jacklin said hugging me tightly. She is the only one who liked me and looked after me after my parents' death. "thank you" I smiled.

"You're very lucky, she's a great girl," she told Richard "yeah I know and pretty special too" "we're getting married after six weeks," I said smiling "where did you meet?" Aunt Jacklin asked us.

"Well, we bumped into each other in the street, and then when she came for an interview I was the one interviewing her and she worked there so now we're engaged and..." he shrugged his shoulders "where do you work?" Uncle asked him "well I own the Pierce International Companies" "what? Daddy" Francisca was about to cry.

"I do not approve of this marriage" "what are you saying, Albert?" Jacky asked "what?" Richard and I asked at the same time "I said you can't marry him" he said in a demanding tone "why?" I asked him "I said you can't get married to someone better than my daughter" "yes you can't," Francisca said smirking with evil in her eyes.

"Why are you doing this? You are the only family I have left, why do you always have to ruin the things I love? You never liked me. Even when my parents died. You made me feel that you were doing me a favor by giving me food, for everything. You are my blood. Why don't you get this? I forgave you for everything you have done to me, I forgave you for slapping me across the face not once but a lot of times, I forgave you for taking what's mine and giving it to your daughter, I even forgave you for not giving me love. I found my love, the love of my life, for once let me have it" 

"You are not getting married to him, and that's final," he said, "it is either us or him" "what are you doing Albert? Stop this at once." Aunt Jacklin said. Francisca laughed.

"You know what?" I wiped my tears "I don't care, you were never my family anyway. You only wanted my father's money, and when you didn't get it, you treated me like garbage. I don't care about you anymore. I have a new family now. The love of my life, my best friend and her family, and Richard's family were more than happy for me to be with them. It's a shame, a real shame that you would make someone give up their life, their happiness just for your daughter's joy. Goodbye" I ran out of his house crying

"Wait up, Lina please." Richard ran after me. "Valentina" When he caught me I was out of the gates "nobody wants us together Richard, what did I ever do wrong in my life? All I wanted to do is spend the rest of my life with you" he pulled me in his chest "I always try my best, but my best never seems to be enough" "Lina," he raised my chin up, "you said it yourself, you ran from them. You once said they were toxic. Just because someone is family doesn't mean you have to tolerate their lies, chaos, drama, manipulation, and disrespect. I love you, Lina, I know it hurts so bad but they don't deserve you, I know from deep down you saw it coming. You don't come to the people you once ran away from." I nodded "you're right, but it's so sad that he made me choose between you and them. It's so sad that he didn't want us to be together just because his daughter didn't like it." "I know" He buried me in his chest.