Timebreaker

Scene: The streets of Paris. Luka is on his way to meet his friends.

Luka: Well Tikki, today's the day of the big race.
Tikki: What big race, Luka?
Luka: The big race between Kim and Alix. Kim's been making way too many dares lately, so Alix challenged him to a race. If she wins, Kim can't make any more dares for the rest of the school year.
Tikki: But what if Alix loses?
Luka: Then she has to give up her roller skates.
Tikki: But Alix loves her roller skates! They're like a part of her!
Luka: That's what makes it so exciting. Come on, we don't wanna be late!

Scene: Le Grand Paris. Alix and her father sit down to eat. Alix notices someone and waves. It's Mr and Mrs Dupain-Cheng; Tom waves back.

Alix: They're Marinette's parents. You know, one of the chicks I hang out with?
Mr. Kubdel: Yes, I remember. They make the best bread in the whole of Paris. (he notices one of Alix's sneakers) Couldn't you have made more of an effort to dress nicely?.
Alix: What do you mean? I took off my cap.
(she points to her cap)
Mr. Kubdel: But this is a special day.
Alix: Well, it's only a birthday.
Mr. Kubdel: No, this is a special birthday. (He reaches inside his jacket pocket and brings out a watch) This family heirloom was made by one of our ancestors many, many years ago. It's been passed down from one generation to the next, on their 15th birthday. And today, it's your turn to inherit it.
Alix: It's pretty sweet, dad. But I've already got a watch, synced up to my smartphone.
Mr. Kubdel: But sometimes there's more to things than meets the eye. Let's just say that our ancestor was... (opens the watch) Ahead of his time. (Alix gasps as a holographic figure appears)
Mr. Kubdel: Of course, I'd understand if you'd rather me buy you a new pair of rollerblades.
Alix: No, Dad! I'm stoked to have it. It's awesome, thank you! (The phone rings)
Mr. Kubdel: Are your friends waiting?
Alix: Yeah, but I don't wanna bail on you. It's cool.
Mr. Kubdel: No, no, go ahead. (Alix stands up and grabs her cap) Now, take good care of it.
(Alix nods.)

Scene: The Trocadéro. Luka arrives and greets his friends.

Luka: Hey, everyone.
(Everyone says hi back, before going back to their conversations. Alya is on the phone.)
Alya: You didn't forget did you?
Luka: (to Adrien) Who's Alya talking to?
Adrien: Marinette's running a little late, but I'm sure she'll be here soon. It's nice to see you, Luka.
Luka: It's good to see you too, Adrien. So, are you excited for the race? Who do you think is gonna win?
Adrien: Hmm, my bet's on Alix. Kim's fast, but Alix is like a speeding bullet on her skates! There's no way he'll be able to keep up.
(Luka let's out a small chuckle. Suddenly, in the distance, Marinette rounds the corner. She's running towards the group with a banner she made. She unravels it to show everyone. The whole group cheers.)
Adrien: Impressive, Marinette! (He winks at Marinette and she giggles in return)
Kim: You all picked the wrong side to cheer on. Looks like Alix isn't even showing up! Probably too chicken to race an extreme athlete like me.
Alix: Spoke too soon, Kim. (Everyone cheers her on as she arrives) Your ridiculous bets are over. I'm gonna leave you in the dust, meathead!
Kim: You're no match for me. My neck is bigger than your thigh.
Alya: (Laughs) Is that a good thing?
Marinette: (laughs)
Max: (pushes Kim and Alix away from each other) Let's review the official rules. Two laps around the fountains; approximately 500 yards. The first one over the line's declared the victor! If Kim triumphs, Alix will relinquish her rollerblades to him. If Alix triumphs, Kim will be prohibited from making another dare for the rest of the school year.
Juleka: We're through with all of those stupid dares!
Ivan: Uh-huh, that's right!
Nathaniel: No more dares!
Max: On your marks, get set...
Alix: Hold up! (Kim falls and the students laugh)
Kim: Forfeiting already?
Alix: (Gives her watch to Alya) Hold on to this for me, will you, Alya? I don't wanna drop it during the race.
Alya: Hold on girl, I can't! I gotta...
Alix: Guard it with your life. It's a family heirloom!
Alya: But... (gives the watch to Marinette) Marinette, take this. I gotta record the race for my blog!
Max: On your marks, get set... GO!
(Alix and Kim start racing - Kim on foot, Alix on her rollerblades - while everyone cheers on)
Marinette: But... she asked you to look after it. I gotta hold up the banner!
Luka: Are you sure that's the best idea, Alya? Marinette's right, Alix did ask you to look after it. Besides, we all know that Marinette can be a bit clumsy. (He elbows Marinette playfully.)
(Marinette giggles before she's suddenly pulled to the side and drops the watch, which falls in slow motion until Adrien catches it.)
Adrien: Need any help?
Marinette: Uh... yup! Thanks. Gotta be careful! Even if you are amazing.
Adrien: Uh?
Marinette: At... holding things! In your hands.
(Luka gives Marinette a strange look.)
(Everyone is cheering)
Max: Last lap!
Alya: Amazing at holding things?
Marinette: (sighs)
Chloé: Adrikins, whatcha got there? Some super old case or something?
Adrien: Careful, it's Alix's!
Chloé: If it's Alix's, it's probably worthless.
(Adrien is mad at Chloé for saying that)
Marinette: Give it back to Adrien, Chloé.
Luka: Maybe I should just hold it until-
(Chloé opens the watch and she gasps)
(Alix and Kim are still racing. They are about to reach the finish line. Chloé accidentally drops the watch onto the racetrack. Alix's rollerblades break it.)
Alix: Yeah! Hahaha! (she looks behind her and she gasps)
Kim: I call a rematch. That false start back there threw me off! Uh...
Alix: (she skates to her broken watch) Ugh! Did you do this?!
Alya: I had to videotape the race so I gave it to Marinette but then she had to hold the banner so she gave it to Adrien, then Chloé snatched it from him and dropped it and, uh, then you skated over it. Hehe.
Alix: (in tears) My old man gave me this for my birthday! This watch is totally a family heirloom!
Marinette: It was an accident!
Adrien: We didn't mean any harm, Alix.
Chloé: As if! I totally had nothing to do with this.
Alix: (in tears) You're all to blame! (Skates away angrily)
Luka: Alix, wait! (He runs after Alix)