Bakerix

Scene: The Liberty, Luka's room. Luka watches the news on his computer while he plays the guitar.

Nadja Chamack: Don't be bemused, it's just the news. The mayor of Paris will be unveiling the Startrain, right here at the Gare du Nord train station. This ultra-modern train will travel between France and the UK at record speeds, faster than flying by plane!
Tikki: But how is the train going across the sea between France and the UK, Luka?
Luka: Well, there's a tunnel under the English Channel, Tikki.
Tikki: Did a superhero do that?
Luka: (laughs) No, just regular men with machines.
Tikki: I can't believe how many inventions humans have made since I last had an owner.
Luka: There's no stopping progress, Tikki.
Tikki: There's no stopping you, either. This is gonna be a wonderful song!
Luka: It's coming together, but it's still missing something. I just don't know what.
Tikki: I'm sure you'll come up with a perfect idea. You always do.
Luka: Thanks, Tikki.

Scene: Living room. Sabine is on the phone with Rolland while Marinette walks down the stairs.

Sabine: Oh, come on now! It really is a shame, Rolland! It's your son's 40th birthday today!
(Marinette gets an apple from the refrigerator and bites it)
Sabine: And, uh, I know how much Tom would love it if you- (Rolland hangs up, and Sabine gasps) Oh...
Marinette: Is that my grandfather again?
Sabine: Yes.
Marinette: So he's definitely not coming, then?
Sabine: I did everything I could. It would've made your dad so happy. He doesn't talk very openly about his feelings, but I know he's sad that he doesn't see his own father anymore. It's a shame.
Marinette: I'd really like to meet him someday, too.
Sabine: He hasn't left his home or seen a single person for over 20 years!
Marinette: I know, but why not?
Sabine: Uh, he's a little old fashioned in his ways. He's not exactly what you call "modern."
Marinette: But what happened 20 years ago?
Sabine: Uh, well, it's complicated. If you really want to know more about it, you should probably ask your dad.

Scene: The Bakery. Tom is making bread while humming.

Marinette: (opens door) Hey, Dad. Why hasn't Grandpa left his house in 20 years?
Tom: Oh? Uh, well, because he's very fond of tradition, and, uh, if you wanna know more about it, you should probably ask Grandma.

Scene: Marinette's room. Marinette calls Gina via video chat.

Gina: Mmm, oh, he's always lived in the past. Well, it's complicated. If you really want to know about it, you should probably ask your dad or your mom.
Marinette: Oh, okay, thanks Grandma, see you tonight. (She hangs up and groans) Seriously, why won't anyone just answer me?! (She suddenly gets an idea and jumps onto her computer) I know exactly what I'm getting for my dad for his birthday! I'm gonna get him and his dad back together again! I found Rolland Dupain's address!

Scene: Outside Rolland Dupain's house. Marinette is in front of the outside gate.

Marinette: If I tell him who I am right away, he won't listen to me, just like with mom. (She rings the doorbell)
Rolland: (through an intercom) What do you want?
Marinette: Uh... I'm... a friend?
Rolland: I don't have any friends.
Marinette: This won't be easy. (rings doorbell)
Rolland: What do you want?
Marinette: Hello, sir. It's the mail lady.
Rolland: Do what you usually do. Throw the mail in the trash. (Marinette looks over to see that the mailbox empties into a trashcan. She sighs, then rings the doorbell again)
Rolland: What do you want?
Marinette: It's for the firefighter's calendar?
Rolland: Ah, doesn't need the fire. I hate calenders!
Marinette: There's no use, it's hopeless. (She starts walking away)
(A van pulls up, and Gilbert, a flour delivery man, carries a sack of flour out of it. He rings the doorbell)
Rolland: What do you want?
Gilbert: Your flour's here, Mr. Dupain!
Rolland: Oh! Come in, come in! The door's open.
Marinette: (gasps, and runs to open the gate for him) Hello! I'm Marinette, Mr. Dupain's granddaughter! I was just about to go in, myself. You can leave me the sack, I'll bring it to him. It'll be a nice surprise.
Gilbert: Rolland has a granddaughter?
Marinette: He sure does! (Gilbert smiles and hands her the sack. She groans under its weight)
Gilbert: I should probably help you...
Marinette: Oh no! It's... light. Could I borrow your cap? I wanna play a prank on Grandpa.
Gilbert: (puts his company cap on her head) Say hi to Rolland for me! I'll grab my cap next time I come by! (He hops in his van and drives away, while Marinette struggles up the stairs)
Marinette: (to herself) Should I really be sneaking in, lying and pretending to be someone else? I've never even met my grandfather, I don't know how he'll react. (She shakes her head) What really matters is that he comes to dad's birthday party, and that they both make up. (She pushes the front door open, and examines the house as she walks in, noticing all the old-fashioned technology and furnishings)
Rolland: (is kneading dough, his back turned to her) Put the sack down in the usual place, Gilbert!
Marinette: (a mouse runs past her feet) Oh! Uh, where's his usual place?
Rolland: (startled, turns around) You're not Gilbert!
Marinette: No... I'm, um, Germaine! His cousin!
Rolland: Hmm. Aren't you a little young to be delivering flour?
Marinette: I'm... an intern! (giggles) I'm doing a flour delivery internship, because some day I wanna own my own flour shop!
Rolland: (frowns, and turns back to his dough) It's good to be ambitious. You can put the sack down now. Have a nice day. (to his mouse) Soot!
(The mouse brings over a bag of soot)
Marinette: So you're a baker then, huh?
Rolland: Are you a flour delivery girl or a nosy detective? Go on! Put the bag down and be on your way!
Marinette: That oven you have there, it's a '72 La Pegnole, Right? It's a rare woodfired model! They only made a few hundred of them!
Rolland: (spins around) How did you know that?
Marinette: My daddy- uh, um- My bready, bread history teacher taught us that.
Rolland: Well, that's new. (incredulous) You need bread history classes to become a flour delivery person now?
Marinette: You bet! You have to study for ten years to be a delivery person these days!
Rolland: (throws his hands up, then returns to kneading) Good luck with your internship, Germaine. Now put the sack down and have a good day!
Marinette: (looks around some more, seeing shelves with trophies, an old radio. and an old box TV) That's a weird looking computer you got there.
Rolland: (turns around again) A computer? In my house? Are you insane? That's a TV!
Marinette: Really, but... is it still working? (She presses a button on it, but it does nothing)
Rolland: Nope. Turned it on one day and poof! (He makes an explosion gesture) Stopped working.
Marinette: It probably doesn't meet cable standards anymore. We just watch everything on the Internet now.
Rolland: The Internet is just as crazy as cordless telephones! That's not how it's done! (angrily kneads dough) How can sound with pictures go through, if there aren't any wires?
Marinette: Simple! (takes out her phone) They're sent in wave form to relay antennas, which are connected to satellites. It's awesome! You can talk, and see anyone you want, anywhere in the world.
Rolland: (turns back around) I don't need to speak to anyone! And besides, that's not how it's done if you want to talk to someone! Now put the sack down, and leave me alone! I've got work to do!
Marinette: (puts her phone away, and goes over to a set of photos. She picks up one that has been pushed down, and discovers a wedding photo of her parents, standing beside Gina) Do you live alone? Do you have any family?
Rolland: (snatches the photo) Hapa papapa! You really are a noisy detective. Don't touch a thing, put the sack down, and leave. (He starts shooing her away)
Marinette: (backs up against a table, and throws the sack into his hands) Oh! Nice bread dough! (She runs over to his counter)
Rolland: Wait, no! Don't touch that! That's not how it's- !
Marinette: Don't worry, I know how it's done. (She starts kneading it, and Rolland sets down the sack) You take the dough and fold it in half, rhythmically, pressing it flat...
Rolland and Marinette: ...snapping it slightly- oh! Huh? (they look at each other)
Marinette: It gives it elasticity and develops the gluten in the dough, so that it holds together well after it's been baked.
Rolland: (looks away) Tch! You're just a school girl reciting a lesson. You don't really know how it's done.
Marinette: I do know my stuff. Maybe even better that you, old man.
Rolland: Better than me? Better than me? (He smiles) Better than me!? (He looks down at his mice) Charlotte, Marie-Louise, Marguerite- (stammers) do you hear that? (stammers) Better than me!? (He belly laughs, then straightens up and points a finger in her face) We'll see about that. (The mice put ingredients in front of him) Get into position, Germaine! We're going to make some bread together! Then we'll see who's the baker, and who's only good for delivering flour!
Marinette: (looks a bit shocked, then smiles) Mm hmm.