Chapter 1

Were you ever told to pack up everything and leave everything behind one day without any warning? No? Let me tell you, it sucks big time.

Not only having to leave your home is difficult, leaving your school, your friends, that's even harder.

"Shailey?" I heard mum's voice reached my ears, jolting me back to reality as I was lost in my own thoughts.

"Huh?" I asked as I turned to face mum.

"We are here."

"What?" I asked once again as I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion.

"We are here at your new school sweetheart."

"Oh. Right," I mumbled under my breath, dropping my gaze to my wringing hands.

"Shailey, what's going on with you? You seemed pretty spaced out lately," mum asked as she looked at me, concern evident in her bright green eyes. "Is everything alright sweetheart?"

"I don't know. It's just that I really really miss all my friends back in my old school and everything else back there. I'm just not ready to leave everything behind yet. Afterall, I'm only 17."

"Sweetheart," mum muttered as she placed her hand on my shoulder. "I know it's tough to just leave everything behind and come to Miami with dad and I. But you will do just fine in your new school," she assured. But I know I won't, I'm not the best in making friends.

"I don't know mum. What if I don't fit in well? I'm gonna miss all my old friends back in Boston," I admitted while tears started to form at the brim of my eyes. The happy memories I shared with my friends flashed past my mind like a fast forward movie.

"Come here," mum said as she embraced me in a warm hug and I bid my face behind her shoulders as I sobbed silently while she patted my back soothingly.

"It's alright darling," mum reassured with a smile as she pulled away from the hug. I looked at her with my tear streaked face and all I could manage was a small nod.

"Have fun alright? Go out there and make yourself some new friends!" She encouraged with a cheerful smile before leaning down to give me a small peck on my forehead.

"Thanks mum," I said as my lips curled upwards into a small smile. "Have a great day."

I slammed the door shut and quickly made my way to the principal's office to settle some admin matters.

I kept my head hung low to refrain anyone from seeing this sobbing mess and quickly wiped the tears away from my eyes with the back of my hand.

In a rush, I accidentally bumped into something hard and sturdy, making me lose my balance.

I let out a small squeal just as I was about to fall. But I felt someone grabbed me by my arm, pulling me back up to my feet.

I looked up to find my probably red and puffy eyes looking into a pair of hazel eyes.

"Thank yo-"

"Watch where you're going," the boy with dark hair snapped at me before I could even finish my sentence. He removed his hand and sent me a cold glare before turning around to walk away.

I stared at his back for the longest time as I watched him walked away.

"Boys and their periods," I mumbled to myself, rolling my eyes.

•••

"Good morning Principal Smith," I greeted my new principal with a smile on my face.