Chapter 7

In the darkness, I heard a familiar voice calling out to me. I felt someone shaking my body vigorously, as if trying to wake me up.

I tried very hard to open my eyes but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't.

It's like a shot in the dark as I tried to walk towards the source of the voice and finally get my eyes open. Finally being able to see the light again.

"Costello!"

My body jerked upwards as I took in one deep breath and felt myself getting a little dizzy.

My body became limped as I fell into someone's strong arms.

I slowly blinked open my eyes and I found myself looking into Jax's hazel brown eyes.

"Shailey, are you alright?" He asked as concern and worry embraced his features.

This is the first time he called me by my first name.

I thought.

How stupid of me to be thinking of such things at this time?

"Yeah. I'm fine," I choked out and fell back into Jax's arms.

"Do you need to see the doctor?"

"No, I don't need to. I don't want to worry my mum about this minor isssue."

"Minor issue? You almost drowned Shailey!"

"I was trying to save you," I explained and my voice came out weaker than I thought.

"You were trying to save me?" He repeated as his hazel brown eyes bored right into mine. "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck!"

"Jax!" I exclaimed as I tried to sit up. Why are you-"

"You almost died trying to save me. You didn't know how to swim yet you tried to save me. And I was being a jerk for pretending to be drowning just to get a good laugh. Fuck," he said as buried his face in his hands.

"Jax!" I called out as I tried to yank his hands away from his face to make him look at me. "I'm fine," I reassured with a smile that didn't quite reach my ears. That's probably why he didn't look a keat but convinced.

"No, you are not. You almost drowned and you could have died. If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't be in this state right now. It's all my fault."

"It's not Jax," I said as I placed my hand on his shoulder gently to reassure him once more. "I chose to save you."

"Exactly. If I wasn't being a jerk trying to fake my drowning, you wouldn't need to save me."

"It's okay. I'm fine now Jax. Let's just go home."

"Are you sure?" He asked as his eyebrows knitted together in concern.

"Yes dad," I teased to lighten up the mood a little.

I let a smile grace my lips as I watched how I placed a small smile on his face. Might not be much at first but at least he was no longer frowning.

"Come on, I will get you some dry clothes to wear."

"Alright," I said to him with a slight nod. "Thanks Jax," I mumbled softly with a grateful smile as I watched him turn around and return the gesture.

"Yeah. No worries."

***

As I walked down the streets, I could feel the cool breeze blowing at me, making me pull Jax's over sized shirt closer to my body.

Million of thoughts and scenarios were running through my mind at that moment.

How am I suppose to explain any of this to mum?

I sighed loudly at that thought.

As I reached the door step to my house, I halted in my tracks.

My hand slowly and hesitantly reached up to press the bell.

The door flew open and mum was standing right in front of me with a relief smile on her face.

"Hey mum," I greeted softly.

"Hey sweet heart," she pulled me close to her a placed a kiss on my temple. "Are you okay? You seem awfully pale," she noticed, worry evident in her eyes.

"Yeah, I am fine. Anybody called?" I asked as nervousness swirled within me.

"No..." She drawled. "Why would anyone be calling?" She asked as suspicion laced her voice.

"Oh no. Nothing much," I lied and gave her a smile and luckily she didn't press further.

Thank god.

I walked into the house and breathed in the familiar smell of home, and somehow it comforted me.

I threw my bag aside and plopped onto the couch, leaning back into it.

"So how was your first day of school?" Mum's voice reached me from behind, most likely the kitchen.

"Great," I said as sarcasm laced my voice, making my mum quirk an eyebrow at me. "I met a few friends and I also happen to fall into the school's fish pond," I said, leaving out the part where I got into detention, went to the principal's office and oh, almost died.

Wow. When I put it that way, I had a really interesting first day.

"Did you meet a guy?" Mum asked with sudden interest as she leaned forward and placed her elbows on the table top. "Don't think I didn't notice that your shirt is especially big and definitely not yours," she said with a playful wink.

"Mum!" I protested which only seemed to amuse her even further. "Did you not hear about the part where I fell into the school's fish pond?"

"So... About this guy..." She drawled with a slight smirk on her face. "Is he cute?"

"Oh yes. Very," I joked as I plastered a smirk across my face.

"Are you serious Shailey?" She asked as her eyes lit up with excitement.

"No mum!" I exclaimed as I fell back to the couch with a dramatic flop.

Oh gosh.

A/N:
Hello lovely people! :) Did you expect that Jax was only pretending to be drowning? And what is going to happen next? Since they ditched detention ;) tsk tsk

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter! If you do, don't forget to vote, comment and fan!

P.s. How do you guys like the new cover? Yay or nay? I know there are many other books with the same cover and all >< Anyway, feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think! :)

Much love,
Rachel xx