Chapter 40

"Hey sunshine!" Jax greeted as soon as I walked into school. He casually put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to his side as I snuggled deeper into the cozy bright yellow hoodie he was wearing.

"Hey big guy," I responded back with a bright smile as I ruffled his nicely combed hair- which I am very sure he spent at least 30 minutes styling it.

"I took like 30 minutes (Ha guessed it!) to comb this hair just to impress you!" He protested with a small pout on his lips. He swiftly grabbed his phone from his back pocket, using its screen as a make shift mirror as he quickly adjusted his hair.

"Aw really? How sweet of you," I cooed, pinching his cheek as he continued brushing his dark hair.

"Of course I am," he said proudly with his head slightly tilted upwards as he quickly slid his phone back into his back pocket once again.

Comfortable silence settled between the both of us aside from the chatter and laughter from the others.

"Guess what?" Jax leaned in closer as he whispered into my ear.

"What?" I whispered back.

"Nothing," he said, chuckling to himself. For an instance, his big brown eyes went tinier, squeezing them together slightly as his lips curved up into a small smile.

"You need to seek help," I told him with a serious face. "Immediately," I added, trying to stifle my laughter but obviously failed.

As we locked eyes, peals of laughter escape our lips as we burst out laughing.

As we were heading to our first class together, the sound of the fire alarm blared loudly, reverberating throughout the entire school.

Instinctively, my hands flew up to my ears as I shouted "What's going on?" I asked Jax, my eyebrows knitting together in confusion but he looked equally confused. "Please don't tell me it's another fire drill."

"Everyone, please stay calm and proceed to the school field in an orderly fashion," an announcement was made over the PA system. "We will be checking on the situation."

"Oh great. It is another fire drill," I said sarcastically as I looked at Jax, a laugh escaped his lips.

Everyone calmly made their way to the school field as they engaged in their own little conversation, since there's probably ain't any real fire or danger. It's just one of the stupid mandatory fire drills we do every year.

The sound of chatter and buzzing filled the air and as soon as I stepped out of the school and into the field. The scorching hot sun was shining down on me without any mercy, I felt as though I was going to melt under this extreme heat as sweat trickled down my forehead.

The school always choose the hottest the day to have these fire drills. It's getting annoying, seriously.

I squinted my already tiny eyes as the sun shone right at my face. I could barely see anything that way. Curiosity swirled within me as cheers and loud chattering were surrounding me.

"Is that a bouncy castle?" I heard someone said out of the blue.

"A bouncy castle?" I wondered out loud. "That's really weird," I told Jax who merely nodded and continued walking as he dragged me along.