Chapter 59

Jax's POV

I sat quietly in Shailey's room after she gave me a small peck on my lips before leaving me to head downstairs and help her mum set up the table for dinner.

I swung my legs freely, letting my eyes wander about her room, drowning out the sound of chatters from downstairs. Her room was like every other typical teenage girl. The walls were painted in pale yellow, pictures of her family and friends were hung up on the wall. Fairy lights decorated her wooden bed frame, a huge poster of her dream college pasted right onto her wardrobe.

I got bored after what seemed like an eternity, and my stomach was starting to grumble. Almost instantly, I regretted Shailey's offer of a plate of Shepard's pie that she secretly snuck up for me earlier.

I stood up from where I was sitting and I soon found myself looking at a picture that I have taken with Shailey from awhile back. And somehow, everything else around me disappeared and I forgot about my grumbling stomach.

Her arms were wrapped tightly around my waist in the picture while I had my arm around her shoulders. She was smiling brightly at the camera while I had my eyes on her, little did she know how fast my heart was beating right at that moment. She didn't know how nervous she makes me feel whenever I'm around her. Naturally, my lips twitched upwards into a small smile as I reminisce the fond memories.

Out of nowhere, a loud bang from downstairs reached me, reverberating throughout the house. The picture frame that was once in my hands fell to the ground, the glass shattered into pieces.

A bad feeling washed over me, and I couldn't shake it off no matter how much I tried. I didn't care that Shailey told me to wait for her cue, I didn't care about operation cupid anymore. I bust open the door and ran downstairs to see that the door was wide open and Shailey was nowhere in sight.

My heart was thumping loudly against my chest as fear spread through me like a wildfire I can't seem to contain.

"Jax?" I heard confuse voices rang behind me but I didn't care. I only care about Shailey and all I could think about right now is Shailey. I ran outside into the night. The sky already darkened, almost pitch black, only a few street lights lighting up the place, but barely.

My eyes widened as I saw a car charging straight at Shailey, tearing down the streets. Before I could pull her back into my arms, another loud bang was heard and she collapsed to the ground.

I screamed. I screamed for her name as I ran to her lifeless body that was lying on the road. I gently held her in my arms, her body felt cold against my warm hands. Warm blood was oozing from her forehead. They say men don't cry, men can't cry but that's bullshit. Tears were burning my eyes, threatening to escape any moment. I blinked once and those tears flowed down my face like an endless stream. 

I quickly wiped those tears away, slapping myself for even wasting a second. I fished for my phone and dialled 911.

"Hello? This is 911. How may I assist you?"

• • •

The unfamiliar smell of sanitiser and medicine lingered in the air, somehow reminding me of the smell of death. That's basically what hospital smells like.

I sat down on one of those cheap, hard plastic chairs I found along the aisle, occasionally watching as nurses and doctors rushed by, small frowns etched in their faces constantly.

I looked up to see Shailey's parents along with Austin parents and himself all clustered together, a few feet away from me. I watched as they hugged one another, telling each other that everything is going to be okay.