Chapter 47

I was sitting in one of those small and cozy coffee houses down the street that is often empty. I snuggled deeper into the old worn out couch as I sat there sipping on my latte while reading my book.

The smell of fire wood burning next to me in the fire place and the aroma of roasted coffee beans lingered in the air.

I love the owner here. Mrs Matthews is always smiling as she greets her customers. The wrinkles on her forehead made her look older than she already is.

I always like talking to her about her past while we sip on some coffee. Her brown eyes would lit up as she talked about how exciting it is to be a teen back in the 1960s. Except today the coffee house is little busier than usual.

So I'm just sitting alone by the glass window as I let myself drift away in my own world. For a moment I set my book down on the table as I let my eyes wander around.

I watched as people walked past the place, either busy talking on the phone or had their eyes glued to it. It's like they had somewhere to rush to as they steps seemed to quicken.

Suddenly, a face appeared right in front of me from outside the window, making me scream out in shock.

"Oh my god!"

It was Austin. He gave me a wide smile as he waved at me enthusiastically. I heard the bell above the door jingle before as he pushed open the door and walked in.

"Hey Shailey!" He greeted cheerily as he started walking towards me. After I recovered from my shock, I turned around to see Austin standing right in front of me with a smile on his face. He was clad in a simple white shirt and black jeans. "Mind if I sit here?" He asked.

"No... You can sit here," I said with a small smile whilst gesturing to the seat opposite of me. He wasted no time as he quickly pulled the chair out and settled down comfortably. "What are you doing here?" I asked, cocking one of my eyebrows at him as his smirk grew a little wider.

"Like I said the other day, I just wanted to talk to you."

"Regarding?" I prompted.

"I heard you will be studying in one of the top schools in Boston when you're there," he said as he played with the keys in his hand. "Lexington High?"

"How did you-"

"I know many things, you'll see," was all he said before he got up and left me sitting alone with my mouth hanging open as a million thoughts were running through my mind.

"That's weird," I mumbled under my breath.

"Who's that sweetheart?" Mrs Matthews asked as she came next to me, her arm propped on my shoulder.

"It's a friend."

"What did he say?"

"I don't know either..."

That night, mum was in the kitchen, preparing dinner which was a little odd, considering she never really cooks. Dad was probably in his reading room sorting out some company stuff while I'm stuck downstairs watching a not very interesting tv show.

"Shailey, would you help me set the table?" Mum yelled from the kitchen and I reluctantly got up from the comfortable position I was previously in.

"Yeah, I'm coming."

"Please make sure the utensils are a set, we have guests coming over tonight," mum said as she was busy whipping up some mac and cheese and other dishes.