Chapter 25

Jax left and went back home by himself while dad drove mum and me home.

I changed out of my soaking wet dress with the shirt and shorts mum got for me somewhere nearby the hotel.

On the way home, it was nothing but strained silence. Tension filled the air, it was so thick that I thought I could cut through it with a knife.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled and was met with silence like the previous 2 times. I sighed.

Sitting at the back, I looked through the mirror to see that their faces were kept straight, expressionless, like robots and it's scaring me.

"Mum, dad? Say something please," I begged. And yet, there was no response just like before.

Dad parked the car and killed the engine. I watched as they got out of the car quietly and walked ahead of me, without even looking back once.

I dragged my feet, walking behind the both of them. I could almost feel the tears swimming at the back of my eyes again but I held them back as hard as I could.  I didn't want to cry. I told myself I can't cry.

As I was walking up the stairs, heading back into my room where I could cry myself to sleep, I heard mum called out to me.

"We don't want you hanging out with Jax anymore. Stay away from him. He is a bad influence."

"Jax? A bad influence? But why?"

"Just do as I say."

"No. I don't understand, why must I always do what you say? Jax is not a bad influence."

"Just stay away from him Shailey. You are a top student in your school. You have quality grades and excellent conduct while Jax doesn't study and goes to detention all the time. Mixing around with him won't do you good."

"But mum..." I protested. "That's not true," I mumbled under my breath.

"And you are grounded for a week Shailey."

"I don't care, ground me forever!" I stormed up to my room and slammed the door shut.

"This is not fair!" I yelled into empty space and to no one in particular. I screamed into my pillow as I buried my face in it.

It was then my phone started ringing and I picked it up on the second ring.

"Who is it?" I asked, my voice sounding a little hoarse from the crying and screaming.

"It's me, Jax."

"Oh," was all I could manage to say, I wasn't really in the mood to speak to anyone, not even Jax.

"Are you feeling better?" He asked, his kind voice laced with concern and worry.

I hesitated for moment before answering.

"No," I answered honestly. "I don't."

"Why? What happened?" Suddenly he sounded really worried this time, I could almost imagine him siting up straighter.

"I...I just don't," I said, afraid to tell him what my mum said about him. I don't want to hurt his feelings.

"I'm going over," he said and hung up before I could even say a word.

I lay on my bed and thought about what mum said about Jax. She doesn't know who Jax is, she doesn't know that he is just a regular high school boy, who is also trying very hard to get good grades as well. She doesn't know that even though he acts all tough, he isn't. She doesn't see the Jax I see. She doesn't know the Jax I know.

It is unfair to set a judgement on someone based on one stupid little incident, to insult that person. It's just not fair at all. But life is never fair anyway.

The sound of pebbles hitting against the glass disrupted my train of thoughts, making me look up.

"What the hell," I mumbled under my breath and walked towards the balcony, where the noise was coming from.

I pushed open the doors and stepped outside, into the balcony. The cool breeze blew at me, making me shiver a little.

I successfully dodged a small peddle flying towards me, like the swift ninja I am. I looked down to see that Jax was standing there with a box by his side.

I thought this only happens in movies.

"What are you doing here?" I asked softly but loud enough only for him to hear. To say I was surprised was an understatement.

"I told you I was coming over. Didn't I?" Even in the darkness, I could see him cock an eyebrow at me while he gestured to his phone.

"Well, I didn't expect you to really come over..."

"Surprise then!" He exclaimed happily, throwing his arm up.

I scoffed loudly and rolled my eyes at him playfully, then decided to head down stairs.

I grabbed a jacket with me and quietly made my way out of my room, sneaking out into the back yard at midnight.

"You are crazy," I said as I looked at how Jax set up everything nicely.

A picnic blanket was laid on the soft grass with a small oil lamp at the side, lighting up the place a little.

Cake and other snacks were placed at the middle of the picnic blanket while he sat at one side of it.

I settled down at the other side and looked at him like he was crazy, but gave him a grateful and genuine smile anyway.

"I was hoping these could help make you feel better."

I looked at the chocolate covered strawberries, the rainbow cake and a bunch of other snacks in front of my eyes. I smiled and took a bite of my rainbow cake.

"It does. Thank you Jax," I said, my lips curling up into a genuine smile.

"Anything for you."

A/N:
Hey guys! :) This is a relatively short chapter but I hope you guys still like this chapter!

And honestly I'm squealing over what Jax did for Shailey hehe it's too sweet

Don't forget to vote, comment and fan if you like this chapter! 💕💕💕

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think about what Jax did for Shailey and about what Shailey's mum thought about Jax

P.s. CHRISTMAS IS IN 5 DAYS 🎅🏻🎄✨

Much love,
Rachel xx