Chapter 12

"Wow, you are right Shailey. Your mum do make some kickass mac & cheese," Austin commented with satisfaction as he rubbed his belly, leaning back on the chair.

"Of course I'm right," I said smugly then turned to my mum to thank her for the meal.

"Shailey, you have a little something on your mouth," Austin told me as he pointed to the corner of his lips. "Let me get that for you."

He then proceeded to grab a piece of tissue and leaned towards me until a loud cough pierced through the air, shocking the both of us.

"Don't forget that I'm still here sweet heart," mum reminded as she quirked an eyebrow at me while I gave her a sheepish smile in return.

"Sorry Mrs Costello," Austin mumbled as he ran a hand through this soft blond hair.

"No no it's fine, do your thing. I shall give you two some privacy," mum said as she turned to wink at me secretly before she left the dinning area.

"Mum!" I protested as I felt my cheeks flushed red with embarrassment, secretly hoping that Austin didn't notice anything.

"I need to wash the dishes darling."

"It's okay Mrs Costello, I will do it," Austin offered kindly with a small smile on his face.

"Alright then, thanks Austin," mum replied with a smile or her own.

"I will help!" I exclaimed and proceeded to run into the kitchen, trailing behind Austin.

We stared at one another awkwardly as silence stretched between the two of us while we do the dishes.

Well, this is awkward.

I looked down on the plate I was scrubbing and started humming my favourite song softly before Austin said something, making me look up.

"Shailey?"

"Yeah?"

"Tell me more about you," he asked simply all of a sudden, his eyes shining with curiosity.

These might seem easy to you, but really, these few words stumbled me. I realised I don't know much about myself, and I have nothing to say about myself.

"Well, I'm 17 and I was from Spring Field High before I transferred to Miami High-"

"No, tell me more about the real you."

"The real me?"

"Yeah, the real you," Austin repeated and I watched as his lips stretched into a smile.

I hesitated for a moment before I spoke truthfully.

"To be honest, I don't know much about me," I mumbled under my breath as I focused my attention on the plate I was washing.

"What are your hobbies? Something you like to do? Some weird fetish you have?" He prompted and I don't know why but it felt kind of weird, having someone trying to know me so well, someone paying this much attention to me.

"Well, I do like to read and sing, maybe dancing too?" I replied with a mere shrug.

"Read huh... What books do you read?"

"I love dystopian fiction with a little bit of romance and action in it, those books are the best. Maybe something like the maze runner?"

"Cool, that series was amazing," he commented and I noticed how his bright blue eyes lit up in excitement, which I thought was pretty cute.

"Really? You read the maze runner series too?" I gasped in amazement and surprise.

"Yeah, of course I do. James Dasher is one of my favourite authors."

"I didn't know James Dasher write books," I said with a small chuckle.

"Didn't he write the maze runner series?" Austin asked, his eyebrows knitted together in confusion as he looked at me.

"You mean James Dashner?" I said while quirking an eyebrow at him, trying to hide my laugh.

"Oh right..." He mumbled, his cheeks a little red from the embarrassment. "Yeah, I mean James Dashner," he corrected, running his hand through his blond hair.

We continued to wash the dishes and chat a little, with a few laughter here and there.

"Wow," I said as I let out a breath. "We are finally done!" I spoke with satisfaction, looking at all the clean dishes in front of me.

"Yay!" Austin cheered happily and did a happy dance, making me laugh a little before we lapsed into silence again.

"Hey..."

"Yeah?" I looked up to see that Austin was already looking at me, his bright blue eyes boring right into mine.

"Thank you for today, it's a great day," Austin said as his lips twitched upwards into a genuine smile.

For a second, I saw his gaze flickered down to my lips before he looked into my eyes again. Austin started to lean in closer to me and I felt my heart beating faster than it should.

"I had fun too," I mumbled as I backed away from Austin. "Thanks," I said with a small smile of my own.

"Yeah, no problem..." Austin muttered under his breath as he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

I don't know what went through my mind at that point of time. What was wrong with me? Austin freaking Sky tried to kiss me yet I backed away.

I slapped myself mentally as I recalled the previous moment. Every girl would kill to be in my position yet I pushed him away. But then again, we barely knew each other.

I heard foot steps coming from behind, making me turn around.

"Hey sweet heart," mum greeted. "Thanks for doing the dishes, you two," mum said with a grateful smile.

"No problem Mrs Costello," Austin beamed. "I guess I will leave now," he said as he made his way to the door, averting his eyes away from mine.

"Yeah sure..." I mumbled under my breath, twirling my hair with my finger. Something I like to do when I'm confused or nervous.

Mum and I walked him to the door to wave him good bye.

"Thanks for the meal Mrs Costello," Austin thanked my mum with a charming smile plastered across his handsome face.

"And erm, thanks for today Shailey," he said with one last smile before he walked away.

A/N:
Hey guys! I'm so so sorry for the lack of update these past few months :( So I will try my best to update more often or whenever I could! Honestly, I wish I could write all day but writer's block is a thing and school is another urgh

Anyway I do hope you enjoy this chapter! So don't forget to vote, comment and fan if you like it! 😊

Qotd: Ausley or  Jaley?
(note: pls suggest more ship names bcos I suck at this xD)

Much love,
Rachel xx