Chapter 49

Jax's POV
I can't believe today is the day.

Standing by the gates, I embraced Shailey tightly in my arms and I didn't want to let go just yet.  I can't imagine my high school life without Shailey. I am going to miss her bright smiles that greet me every morning, her laughter, everything.

I wish I can keep holding her in my arms like that, but that wish was soon cut short as I brought back to the harsh reality.

I heard someone cleared his throat loudly behind me, causing me to whip my head around to see Shailey's dad staring between the both of us.

"Shailey... We got to go," he said, a hint of sadness in his deep voice.

I watched as she looked up to stare at her dad, her eyes blank. But I could clearly see the tears threatening to spill any second as emotions run wild in her big eyes. And that broke my heart.

"I'm gonna miss this place," she muttered, her voice came out a little shaky as my arms were still around her. "I'm going to miss you, Jax," she told me as a tear fell down her rosy cheeks.

"I'm going to miss you too..." I barely managed to whisper as I quickly reached up to wipe her tear away, giving her a small smile that didn't quite reach my eyes. "But we will talk everyday right?" I said, thinking maybe that might somehow make her feel better.

I guess it worked since her lips curled upwards into one of the smallest smiles as she let out a soft chuckle.

"Come on," I urged. "You gotta stop crying, you already look like Rudolph," I teased while pinching her cheeks. "Your nose is so red," I told her as I let out a laugh, I didn't mind that many pair of eyes were staring right at us, including her parents.

"Alright, alright. I will stop," she said with a lopsided grin. "Thank you for everything."

"You don't have to thank me for that, I'm always here for you."

We lapsed into a short moment of comfortable silence as we interlaced our hands together while we kept our gaze locked.

"I'm sorry to break this up sweetheart but we really need to go," Shailey's dad voice slapped me out of this dream-like state. "Like right now," he demanded, his thick brows furrowed together as Shailey's mum grabbed onto the hand carry bag from the floor.

"Have a safe flight, I will talk to you soon alright?"

"Thanks Jax," she said as she tiptoe a little, leaning in to place a kiss on my lips. But before she did so, she turned to look at her parents with a look that asked 'this is okay right'. As she watched her parents nodded, she quickly leaned forward to place a small kiss squarely on my lips as she threw her arms around my shoulders. "I love you."

"I love you more."

It's true and I meant it with all my heart.

I watched as she left, entering the gates to board the plane in a matter of minutes, jetting off to Boston where we would be over a thousand miles apart.

Although it has been more than a week since I first heard of this news, I still couldn't bring myself to believe it. I was in denial. I wish she would stay.

She walked through the gates, turning around to search for me in the sea of people several times as I continued to wave good bye with a bright smile.

As I looked into her eyes from 10 metres apart, I could see the sadness and a hint of worry. How I wish I could run right through to hug her once more and tell her everything is going to be okay, asking for her to stay with me.

Suddenly, every single moment we spent together flash past my eyes like a fast forward movie.

I know I'm going to miss her. Oh who am I kidding, I already do.

***

Shailey's POV
As I handed my boarding pass to the lady in front of me, I couldn't help it but turn around to look at Jax for one last time.

I looked hard enough, trying to remember every single detail of him, afraid that I would actually forget.

I gave Jax a small smile from afar as I watched him watch me go. I know this ain't easy for both of us and I really didn't want to leave Miami at all. Afterall, this is still my home.

I watched as Jax waved me goodbye, his lips were curled upwards into a big smile and I returned the gesture of course.

But somewhere at the back of my mind, I can't seem to stop myself from thinking about all the what ifs. I'm afraid that once I leave, everything changes. I'm afraid of anything and everything because there's always a possibility of it happening.

I quickly tried to push that thought away, yearning to keep it lock up in a chest with the key thrown away into the bottom of the sea.

But guilt is gnawing at my conscience as I thought about my failure to tell Jax about Austin being at Boston at me. I know he will freak out, no doubt.

Call me anything you like, but I'm only human and I'm afraid. I didn't want to let Austin come between the both of us, ever since the incident a few days ago where Jax almost got into a fight with him. I wasn't ready to let that happen, I couldn't risk that happening.

I don't know when I will ever be ready to let Jax know about this but I'm sure he is bound to figure it out soon enough.

Austin was already in Boston with his parents, probably already settling just fine since he's the golden boy. But for me, I will probably remain in the shadows, as always.

I looked out of the window and watched as the plane take off as I jet off to Boston and dive into a whole new world.

A/N:
Hey guys! Sorry it took this long for me to update but it isn't easy for me to write this chapter, I keep getting stuck. I hope this is good enough 😅

Anyway, don't be afraid to tell me what you think! Feel free to leave a comment and don't forget to vote and share if you enjoy this chapter! You could also follow me for further updates!! 💖

Thank you for sticking with me this far 💕 Have a lovely day everyone! ✨✨

Much love,
Rachel xoxo