Chapter 4

"Principal Smith, Jax is here."

"Jax?" I mumbled a little too loudly, making Jax turned his head to look at me in my eyes.

As our eyes connected, a smirk morphed itself onto his lips as his hazel brown eyes danced with mischief.

"Hey Principal Smith," Jax greeted with a mock salute while I stared at him in disbelief.

"Take a seat Jax," Principal Smith said with a soft sigh and gestured to the seat next to me.

"Happy to," Jax responded with a cheeky smile. "So what is it that you want to see me for?" He asked as he leaned back into the chair and crossed his arms.

"Well Jax, I called you and Shailey here to propose an idea."

"An idea?" I asked as curiosity swirled within me.

Please no detention. No detention.

I thought, as I kept my fingers crossed on my lap.

"Yes Shailey. After hearing what Mr Nigel said, I was wondering if you would like to be Jax's tutor, or as I would like to say, study buddy?"

"Jax's tutor? But I got detention and I was late on my first day and..." I reasoned as I desperately wanted to get out of that.

"Shailey, I know."

"Why me?"

"You managed to make Jax do his chemistry assignment. He never does his assignments and he didn't even listen to me."

This time, it was Mr Nigel who spoke.

"She was just too annoying," Jax said, making Principal Smith glared at him with disapproval.

"And from what I saw, in your previous school, you are what we call the 'perfect student'. You perform very well academically and holistically. I believe that you are a great role model for Jax and that it was just a small mistake that you made today," Principal Smith added on.

Beside me, I heard Jax scoffed loudly to which I ignored.

"I still don't think it's a good idea to be Jax's tutor."

"Principal Smith, with all the respect, I don't want Costello to be my tutor," Jax spoke up all of a sudden, making me turn my head to glare at him.

"It's not like I want to be your tutor too," I retorted with an eyeroll.

"We both know you want it Costello," he mumbled under his breath and leaned back into his chair.

"Enough!" Mrs Smith's voice pierced through the thick air, I turned to look at her with my mouth hanging open.

I gulped inaudibly as I straightened my posture and looked at her, my eyes filled with shock.

Principal Smith cleared her throat softly before she looked at us with a small smile that didn't quite reached her ears.

"Shailey, all you have to do is help improve his grades and help him maintain a good conduct in school."

"I'm not sure if I'm able to do that Principal Smith."

"Think about it, Shailey."

***

I sighed loudly as I placed my books into the locker.

Think about it.

Those few words had been replaying in the back of mind for the rest of the day, like a broken record I can't seem to fix.

Should I do it? Should I not?

I can't seem to concentrate on anything I'm doing ever since my visit to the principal's office.