Chapter 24

Looking up at the night sky, I spotted a few stars here and there, as we sat by the edge of the pool, kicking our legs through the cooling water.

It felt nice and refreshing.

Under the moon light, Jax's chocolate brown eyes twinkled.

"This is nice," I said as I looked at the moon light reflecting off the surface of the water.

"Mhmm..."

We sat in silence for a while, none of us uttering a word. We probably didn't feel the need to be striking a conversation.

Surprisingly, it wasn't awkward, it was a comfortable silence.

We were just two teenagers sitting by the pool in the middle of night, escaping from a boring event.

Nothing much really.

"Music?" He asked, looking into my eyes.

"Yeah, of course," I replied with a small nod, and naturally I found myself curious about his music taste.

Faded by Alan Walker started playing softly and I found myself humming to the song.

"You are the shadow to my light. Did you feel us?" I sang softly under my breath. "Another star you fade away. Afraid our aim is out sight."

"Wanna see us alight," this time it was Jax who was singing. I turned to look at him with a small smile playing on my lips, but he didn't notice me looking.

"Where are you now?" We sang together, our voices mixing well together, almost as if we were professional singers.

Once the song ended, I felt a hand on back.

All of a sudden, I was in the pool, soaking wet.

I plummeted to the bottom of the pool and tried to resurface on my own and I found myself gasping for air my lungs desperately needed.

"Jax Merico! How dare you push me into the pool?" I demanded, pointing a finger at him.

I felt anger starting to rise in me as I watched him laughed at me like I ain't watching. He was clutching onto his stomach, and threw his head back. His smile was as wide as face, laughter echoing throughout.

As he was busy laughing, I swam over to him and pulled him into the pool with me.

Guess who's the one laughing now?

"Hey! You cannot do that!" He protested with a small pout on his face.

"Why not?" I challenged, quirking an eyebrow at him. "You did push me into the pool first."

"Well but it's funny when I'm not the one in the pool."

And that's when I stuck my tongue out at him like the real mature lady I am.

"Ha, real mature Shailey," he commented.

I narrowed my eyes at Jax and started to splash water at him with all my might.

Splash.

Splash.

Splash.