Chapter 20

"Shailey darling?" Mum's sweet voice rang out behind me, making me look up from my book and almost immediately.

I turned to see mum standing by the door, a small smile on her face.

"What is it mum?" I asked as I dyed her cautiously.

I watched as she walked into my room and took a seat on my bed before gesturing for me to go over.

"I need you to do me a favour," she spoke as soon as I settled down.

"What favour?" I asked, my voice probably dripping with suspicion.

I can already sense it from a mile away. Mum was definitely up to something yet again. I remember how I agreed to go for the company's dinner last year, got to say, that's probably one of the worst nights of my life.

As these thoughts cloud my mind, mum's voice broke my train of thoughts.

"Well, do you know about the annual charity event that the company holds?"

"Oh shit," I mumbled under my breath as I thought about my impeding death due to boredom.

"What was that?"

"Nothing!" I said almost too quickly but mum just brushed it off anyway which I was thankful for.

"What about it?" I asked feigning innocence as I shifted around in my seat.

I have been to those events so many times, I lost count. Frankly speaking I'm getting kind of tired of these kind of events my mum's company holds. Sure, it has good food, but it's only the food. I only attended for the food and nothing else. It's pretty boring if you ask me. The speeches are boring, the presentation is boring, in fact, everything is!

Alol I see were sophisticated adults dressed in expensive dresses, carrying their Prada bags or wearing their Hermes belts, dressed in the most expensive tuxedos. Making small talks with one another while the rest of the teenagers just hang around, boredom evident on their faces.

"I just wanted to ask if you would like to go with me," mum answered as smile graced her lips.

I wanted to say no, but obviously I can't. It took everything in me to refrain myself from saying no.

Hence, all I could do was to sigh and say yes.

"Okay, I will go with you. But only for the food," I added.

Mum's face broke into a smile at that instant.

"Really? Oh thanks so so much darling," she exclaimed as she leaned forward to embrace me in a tight, suffocating hug.

"Mum! Mum! I can't breathe!" I yelped.

"Oh sorry darling, I'm just really happy that you would agree so easily," mum said as she chuckled lightly at how red my face probably was.

"Yeah, so am I," I huffed as I walked back up to my room, thinking everything is over.

"Shailey?" mum called out all of a sudden and by the looks of it, it does not seem to be good news.

"Yeah?" I turned around to see mum looking at me with her big, bright eyes.

"Did I mention something about a dance?" She asked as she looked at me with an innocent expression plastered across her face.

I knew it. Something is just not right.

"Dance? What dance?" I asked, surprised.

"Well," she drawled. "You have to go with a partner for the dance and I'm going with dad. So... You have to find your own partner for the night."

"Since when is there a dance?" I asked as my eyes widened in disbelief.

I can't dance for god's sake.

"This year is our company's 20th anniversary, so we are having a special dance event."

And to think it was just an ordinary dinner event with snobbish adults roaming the hotel ballroom in their branded clothing.

"Mum! You know I can't dance," I exclaimed loudly.

"Yeah, you can't," mum said as she tried to stifle a laugh."But it's okay. Just find someone. The event is in a week, you will have plenty of time to prepare. And I expect you to get your own dress alright."

"Mum!" I whined like a five year old. "How am I suppose to find a partner in one week? I can't even find a boyfriend in 17 years."

"Oh honey, you will figure it out," mum said before walking away while I stalked back up to my room.

What am I going to do now?

I flopped onto my bed dramatically as a million thoughts ran through my mind at that instant.

How am I suppose to get a dress and find a partner in a week? That's almost impossible! Considering the fact that I also can't dance.

I let out a loud sigh.

That's when my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Shailey?" The voice chirped excitedly. "It's Kelsi!"

"Yeah of course it is," I said with a small chuckle. "What is it?"

"So..." She drawled and I could almost hear her smile through the phone. "Jake asked me out."

"Oh my god! No way! Jake? As in the Jake that you had a crush on for almost 3 months?" I asked as I found myself sitting at the edge of my bed with a wide smile on my face.

"Yep!" Kelsi confirmed and the both of us started to do the girly squeal thing. "I cannot believe this Shai!"

"Oh my god! Congrats Kelsi! You have got to tell me everything," I demanded with a laugh.

"Yes yes, of course, you are my best friend, I have to tell you everything."

"I have something to tell you too," I said all of a sudden, sounding all serious.

"What is it?" She asked, her voice laced with concern and worry almost immediately.

"So, there is this charity dance event that I have to go to! And I agreed without knowing I had to dance because I can't dance at all, literally. It's just an stupid event with adults acting all classy and snobbish with their branded goods, it sickens me to the core. And I had to find a dress, a dance partner and every bring in just a week, oh my god," I continued rambling on while Kelsi just listened on the other end of the line.

"Shailey! Breathe."

I stopped and took in one deep breath.

"Okay, I'm calm now. Thanks for listening Kels."

"Sure, no problem. But you scared the shit out of me when you said you have something to tell me. I swore I thought you were going to say you are moving out of town or something!" She spoke with a small laugh.

"Nah, I'm not moving out of town. You can't get rid of me that easily you know! You a re going to be stuck with me for the rest of your life!" I joked.

"But hey, no worries. I can help you out! It's just a dress and maybe shoes and a dance partner. That's all. No worries at all! Kelsi is here to help!"

"I don't know what to do without you Kels."

A/N:
Hello everyone! So so sorry for the lack of update! :( But I think I finally got rid of writer's block and there's more to come! So stay tune!

And feel free to tell me what you would like to see more in this book and I might just add those in!

Don't forget to vote, comment and fan if you like this chapter!

Much love,
Rachel xx